"bmiller39's new Louisville Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Louisville by bmiller39
Louisville Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 546 photos
Louisville, Kentucky is also referred to as "River City". The city was founded in the early 1800's by French settlers who traveled along the Ohio River. In 1850, the city was growing and saw a large influx of European settlers, particularly German. During the civil war (war between the states) it was a slave trading city and there was a bitter division between the citizens regarding the slavery issue. We had two newspapers in the 1850's (The Courier..anti slave/abolutionist and the Journal, pro slavery/anti-abolutionist) The newspapers long ago merged and became the Courier- Journal. The city grew substantially because of the river trade and large influx of immigrants which continues to this day as newcomers from Viet Nam, Eastern Europe, Africa, and many other countrys have chosen to live here. Many small communities within Louisville have grown centered around the new cultures. We have a Viet Namese area around third street which is prolific with asian grocery stores, restaurants, etc. and is a thriving community which offers a great deal.
louisville tends to be somewhat casual in dress unless you are here for business. Summers are warm to very hot and last... more travel advice
Southwest airline flys into Louisville and the airport is about a 15 minute cab ride to downtown. A car is recommended,... more travel advice
bmiller39's Related Pages
Louisville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A "Wicked" Weekend in Louisville"
- "Louisville Louisville Louisville"
- "Home of the Kentucky Derby"
- "Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Fried Chicken"
- "bmiller39's new Louisville Page"
- "Louisville: Gateway to the South"
- "Ancestor Searches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Louisville
- Hotels in Louisville
- Transportation in Louisville
- Nightlife in Louisville
- Restaurants in Louisville
- Shopping in Louisville
- Warnings and Dangers in Louisville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Louisville
- 10 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Louisville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Louisville
Photos in LouisvilleSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Metz Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin 7 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Strasbourg Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Göttingen Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Louisville Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Leipzig Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Greenwood Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Key West Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
No friends yet.