"Florence, 1994" Florence by travelmad478
Florence Travel Guide: 5,246 reviews and 11,826 photos
My first, and only, trip to Italy took me to Florence and Pisa in the spring of 1994. Having studied architecture at university, I was in heaven walking around this city. Everywhere you turn, you find yourself looking at a masterpiece of design. Frequently, a single building constructed over many centuries will incorporate styles from the medieval to the Baroque. And don't get me started on the art!
Florence is easy to navigate on foot, and a good map is all you'll need to find your way around. Bring the best guidebook you can find, because there are historical, artistic, and cultural gems on every streetcorner of this city--you'll want to read up on them.
Florence's architecture is its best-known feature. The main photo here depicts a detail of the dome (Duomo) of the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, designed by Brunelleschi and completed in 1436. To me, the Duomo <b>is</b> Florence. This masterpiece, 114 meters high, was one of the earliest examples of a self-supporting dome and is a marvel of engineering. The cathedral itself was begun in 1296 and took 140 years to construct
There are dozens of other examples of gorgeous design--often in religious architecture, but seen in plenty of secular buildings as well--all over Florence. I've included just a few on these pages.
Another great thing about Florence is the feeling that you're walking right along the same streets as some of the... more travel advice
The hills outside Florence are also a good place to wander around, if you have a car. The red roofs of Tuscany, peeking... more travel advice
travelmad478's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "weekends in Florence"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fourth time round....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 12 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 33 reviews, 26 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Doha Intro, 25 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khasab Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Beirut Intro, 18 reviews, 25 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 5 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Russia Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos