"Florence, 1994" Florence by travelmad478

Florence Travel Guide: 5,035 reviews and 11,002 photos

My first, and only, trip to Italy took me to Florence and Pisa in the spring of 1994. Having studied architecture at university, I was in heaven walking around this city. Everywhere you turn, you find yourself looking at a masterpiece of design. Frequently, a single building constructed over many centuries will incorporate styles from the medieval to the Baroque. And don't get me started on the art!

Florence is easy to navigate on foot, and a good map is all you'll need to find your way around. Bring the best guidebook you can find, because there are historical, artistic, and cultural gems on every streetcorner of this city--you'll want to read up on them.

Florence's architecture is its best-known feature. The main photo here depicts a detail of the dome (Duomo) of the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, designed by Brunelleschi and completed in 1436. To me, the Duomo <b>is</b> Florence. This masterpiece, 114 meters high, was one of the earliest examples of a self-supporting dome and is a marvel of engineering. The cathedral itself was begun in 1296 and took 140 years to construct

There are dozens of other examples of gorgeous design--often in religious architecture, but seen in plenty of secular buildings as well--all over Florence. I've included just a few on these pages.

• Last visit to Florence: May 1994
  • Intro Written Sep 10, 2002

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Thanks for taking the trouble to scan your photos from 1994. In places like this I often wish I had studied architecture or at least was more knowledgeable about it.

• terible22's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2008 at 7:42 AM

I would love to go to Italy someday! My Grandparents grew up there. What a nice place!!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2007 at 1:45 PM

I can't wait to see Florence!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 8:27 PM

I agree with your tourist trap tip! I loved Florence both times that we visited. It's a charming city as you have shown.

• aadil's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2004 at 12:05 PM

Wonderful page!!! Loved your pictures and the info is pretty good too!!! You tried to eat half a kilo of meat at one go?!!! It was nice to see all the art and architecture in Florence and it brought back fond memories of my trip last year!!!

• vaticanus's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2003 at 6:46 PM

Lovely photos of Florence.

• londonlover's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2003 at 6:12 PM

Very helpful; Florence looks lovely!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2002 at 3:06 PM

Interesting, I'm there in March.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2002 at 5:59 AM

wonderful page!!! Florence is a great place!

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2002 at 8:55 AM

Great information. I had a wonderful time in Florence.

travelmad478

“You live once!”

Badges & Stats in Florence

Have you been to Florence?

Latest Activity in Florence