"Cape Town--When Can I Move There??" Cape Town by travelmad478

Cape Town Travel Guide: 2,700 reviews and 6,271 photos

My first visit to Cape Town was in March 2000, when I went there for a business trip. After my work was done, my sister Helen and my friend Kathy flew down to SA to take a vacation in the Western Cape. We rented a car and drove around for about a week, which was great fun. Cape Town tips are on this page, and I've put the Western Cape trip on a travelogue.

I have visited Cape Town several times since, usually for 2-3 days at a time. In those trips, I've done things like hiking up Lion's Head, touring wine farms outside Stellenbosch, enjoying the beachfront, and looking at real estate! It didn't take me long to come to the realization that Cape Town is one of my favorite cities in the world. It's like San Francisco, only with better weather, cheaper wine, and penguins! I'm wondering when I can manage to land a job down there.

Cape Town is one of the more visually striking cities I've been to. The cliffs of Table Mountain loom over the bay below, a series of beautiful beaches spills down to the south, and the port in the center of town makes it all real.

It's very easy to get from Cape Town to some really fun places, including the Cape of Good Hope and South Africa's wine country. Both are within two hours' drive from the center of town. The roads are good and we had no worries at all about safety. A bit farther out in Western Cape state, the countryside gets far more varied: see my travelogue for our experiences.

• Last visit to Cape Town: Dec 2001
  • Intro Updated Feb 18, 2009

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2011 at 7:47 AM

still one of my favourite destinations ;-)))

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2009 at 10:01 AM

It was nice to revisit Cape Town through your pages. You must have the job that everyone on this site envies!!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Very popular. Most Vt members who have visited SA have been to Boulders Beach.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Very nice Cape Town tips! And you've been almost everywhere - excellent travelling! :jumpingnorman

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2006 at 1:52 PM

Greetings from another mad traveller! I've just got back from Costs Rica too!. Like you Capetown pages, am off there in September.

• Jan 10, 2006 at 10:31 PM

Hi Julie, You are right about the Table Bay Hotel. It is expensive. More so for the locals.:) I hope you enjoyed S.Africa on your last trip. Happy New Yea!.:)

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2005 at 1:09 AM

Hi Julie, thanks for your lovely pics on my home town & heres wishing you a very happy birthday :-) Jo x

• Cruefan's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2005 at 9:18 AM

nice pictures!! South Africa looks like a beautiful country.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 6:33 AM

I am glad you loved my home town :) Thanks forbringing back such lovely memories! ~ Jen ~

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 6:14 AM

Great pictures and accurate tips on Cape Town, glad you enjoyed our mother city!

travelmad478

“You live once!”

Badges & Stats in Cape Town

Have you been to Cape Town?

Latest Activity in Cape Town