"One day in Gaborone" Gaborone by travelmad478

Gaborone Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 122 photos

I spent just one night in Gaborone, having flown there from Maun after a few days of safari in the Okavango Delta. I was working for a day in Gaborone, and unfortunately didn't have any picture-taking opportunities.

I was pleasantly surprised by Gaborone, which was generally well-kept, clean, and orderly--in contrast to a lot of African cities. There is a lot of money in Botswana (the government receives revenues from the many diamond mines around the country) and it seems to be well spread around. The roads, buildings, and infrastructure in Gaborone are modern and pleasant. The parts of town that I saw were not particularly picturesque--a lot of shopping centers, residential neighborhoods, and office buildings--but it was relaxing.

One thing worth noting is that the name of this city is pronounced differently by different people. Black Botswanans use the local language pronunciation--"Hab-a-ron-ee", while white Botswanans call the city "GAB-a-ron-ee." Either one will get you where you need to go.

• Last visit to Gaborone: Oct 2005
  • Intro Written Nov 20, 2005

• DAO's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I somehow missed this hotel. All the best.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2007 at 1:15 AM

ooh, I wish you had photo's and more stories :-) I just tested your Habarone/Gabarone on my friend in Gabarone. You're right! :-)

travelmad478

“You live once!”

Badges & Stats in Gaborone

Have you been to Gaborone?

Latest Activity in Gaborone