"One day in Gaborone" Gaborone by travelmad478
Gaborone Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 122 photos
I spent just one night in Gaborone, having flown there from Maun after a few days of safari in the Okavango Delta. I was working for a day in Gaborone, and unfortunately didn't have any picture-taking opportunities.
I was pleasantly surprised by Gaborone, which was generally well-kept, clean, and orderly--in contrast to a lot of African cities. There is a lot of money in Botswana (the government receives revenues from the many diamond mines around the country) and it seems to be well spread around. The roads, buildings, and infrastructure in Gaborone are modern and pleasant. The parts of town that I saw were not particularly picturesque--a lot of shopping centers, residential neighborhoods, and office buildings--but it was relaxing.
One thing worth noting is that the name of this city is pronounced differently by different people. Black Botswanans use the local language pronunciation--"Hab-a-ron-ee", while white Botswanans call the city "GAB-a-ron-ee." Either one will get you where you need to go.
travelmad478's Related Pages
Gaborone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SMALL CAPITAL"
- "Dumela Botswana"
- "Gaborone: a capital city w/ a strange design"
- "Gaborone - The capital of Botswana"
- "Gaborone - Capital city of Botswana"
- "GOING TO GABS"
- "One day in Gaborone"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gaborone
- Hotels in Gaborone
- Transportation in Gaborone
- Nightlife in Gaborone
- Restaurants in Gaborone
- Shopping in Gaborone
- Warnings and Dangers in Gaborone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gaborone
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Gaborone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaborone
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 33 reviews, 26 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Doha Intro, 25 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khasab Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Beirut Intro, 18 reviews, 25 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 5 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Russia Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos