"Living the dream as a lady of leisure!" travelmad478's Profile
You pass through places and places pass through you
But you carry 'em with you on the soles of your travellin' shoes
---The Be Good Tanyas, "The Littlest Birds Sing the Prettiest Songs"
Hello! I'm a very frequent traveler to points all over the developing and developed world. My travel has been done for both business and pleasure, although wonderfully, I am now retired and have no more work trips!
The pages that I've built on VT are just a fraction of the trips I've actually taken, which means that I've got a lot of expertise on places that I don't have a VT tip or page for. Just ask! Some of my business travel shots are on the "Where's Julie This Month?" travelogue on my Delaware page, and you can meet my late dog Ray and follow his travels too on "Where's Ray?". If you'd like to get the benefit of my experience regarding air travel, health, and dealing with money overseas, please check the "Travelmad's Travel Tips" album below.
I've lived in many places: the NJ shore, Ithaca (NY), Carmel Valley (CA), Washington DC, Moscow, Almaty and Taraz (Kazakhstan), Philadelphia (PA), and Wilmington and Hockessin (DE). I can help out with advice and information on any of these, and I'll do my best for the many other places I've visited. Go ahead, ask me something!
Quite a few people have asked me what kind of a job I had that took me to all these places, so I may as well explain it right here. I worked in asset management as an emerging markets equity analyst. What that means is that I was responsible for identifying companies in developing countries that my fund invested in. I analyzed their financial and business prospects to decide whether the shares would be a good place to put our clients' money. So I did a lot of traveling to these countries to speak with the company managements, tour their facilities, and so on. I was responsible for a number of regions (India and Pakistan, Africa, the Middle East, the former Soviet Union, Central Europe, and Turkey) and I also covered mining and paper companies in Brazil, Chile, Peru, and Mexico. It was really the most amazing job I can think of for a person that loves to travel--not only did I get to go to these places for work, I also got a massive amount of frequent flyer miles.
Now I am retired and chipping away at my bank of miles, which is fantastic! I can't see myself ever retiring from travel itself, and it sure is nice to be doing it all for fun now!
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 714 Reviews
- 729 Photos
- 43 Countries
- 79 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
- Posted in Travel Maryland Forum "Re: St. Michaels or Cambridge?"
- Commented on grandmaR's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Living the dream as a lady of leisure!"
- Wrote a Review Socotra Dream Tours - challenging to work with in Socotra Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Around town in Khasab"
- created a Khasab Travel Page "Beautiful and untouched, but easy to reach!"
- travelmad478 and vpas are now friends.
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 33 reviews, 26 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Doha Intro, 25 reviews, 23 photos
- Khasab Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Beirut Intro, 18 reviews, 25 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 5 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Russia Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos