"Welcome to travelmad478's HomePage" travelmad478's Profile

You pass through places and places pass through you
But you carry 'em with you on the soles of your travellin' shoes

---The Be Good Tanyas, "The Littlest Birds Sing the Prettiest Songs"

Hello! I'm a very frequent traveler to points all over the developing and developed world, for both business and pleasure. It's a long slog, but I've finally gotten a few vacation pages built--just a fraction of the trips I've actually taken, so I'll keep working. Some of my business travel shots are on the "Where's Julie This Month?" travelogue on my Delaware page, and you can meet my late dog Ray and follow his travels too on "Where's Ray?". If you'd like to get the benefit of my experience regarding air travel, health, and dealing with money overseas, please check the "Travelmad's Travel Tips" album below.

I've lived in many places: the NJ shore, Ithaca (NY), Carmel Valley (CA), Washington DC, Moscow, Almaty and Taraz (Kazakhstan), Philadelphia (PA), and Wilmington and Hockessin (DE). I can help out with advice and information on any of these, and I'll do my best for the many other places I've visited. Go ahead, ask me something!

Quite a few people have asked me what kind of a job I have that takes me to all these places, so I may as well explain it right here. I work in asset management as an emerging markets equity analyst. What that means is that I am responsible for identifying companies in developing countries that my fund can invest in. Then I analyze their financial and business prospects to decide whether the shares will be a good place to put our clients' money. So I do a lot of traveling to these countries to speak with the company managements, tour their facilities, and so on. I am responsible for a number of regions (India and Pakistan, Africa, the Middle East, the former Soviet Union, Central Europe, and Turkey) and I also cover mining and paper companies in Brazil, Chile, Peru, and Mexico. It is really the most amazing job I can think of for a person that loves to travel--not only do I get to go to these places for work, I also get a massive amount of frequent flyer miles. Now I just need the time off to use them!

• Intro Updated Sep 1, 2011

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!