"Almost a ghost town" Top 5 Page for this destination Vukovar by dabuwan
Vukovar Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 100 photos
Vukovar, located on the Danube croatian shore close to Yugoslavia, is much different from the pictoresque, nice, quiet seaside towns on the Dalmatian coast.
But this is also Croatia, and what happened less than 12 years ago should never be forgotten.
Until late 1991 Vukovar was a multiethnic town with about 50000 inhabitants; a few months later, after a three months siege, Yugoslavian army entered the town and most of the Croatian population still alive was deported. Only since 1998, after a long unquiet transition period under UN control, Vukovar is officially part of Croatia. Ethnic cleansing from both sides did happen and most of the population (serbs and Croats) who survived fled away and just few of them have returned home. Many mass graves have been discovered around town.
Today Vukovar tries to go back to normality, but it's hard: anywhere you look you see traces of the violent fights that took place. You can't find a building whose walls have a 10 cm square area without a bullet hole. Almost all residential houses have been burnt. The only two restored buiding are a Hotel (?!?) and the post office. Almost no people around and the silence is really impressive.
Because of the lack of restored buildings in Vukovar, there are no real restaurants, but just a few tents with tables,... more travel advice
Vukovar really impressed me. I am not a "war tourist" but it happened to me to visit countries where you still could see... more travel advice
dabuwan's Related Pages
Vukovar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vukovar 12 Years After"
- "Almost a ghost town"
- "A place that made me think hard"
- "City rising from the ashes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vukovar
- Hotels in Vukovar
- Transportation in Vukovar
- Nightlife in Vukovar
- Restaurants in Vukovar
- Warnings and Dangers in Vukovar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vukovar
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Vukovar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vukovar
Top 10 Pages
- Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Aleppo Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algeria Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sestri Levante Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayo Largo Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Ko Bulon Le Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos