Chanthaburi Things to Do Tips by dabuwan
Chanthaburi Things to Do: 44 reviews and 53 photos
A small strange temple
I could not retrieve any information about this small temple in Chanthaburi.
It is quite different in style from other temples in Thailand, because of the painted walls and the wooden patio in front.
A colourful chinese temple
There are some nice, bright coloured, chinese temples in Chanthaburi.
They are not so old but they make an amazing contrast with the old wooden houses, the huge catholic Cathedral and the large, green Taksin park.
A central street in Chanthaburi
The architecture of old central Chanthaburi has some french style reminders, due to the french occupation of Vietnam and of this region at the end of the 19th century.
Many buildings are still made of wood and some of them have nice decorated balconies.
Chanthaburi river is the heart of this town. Many houses and monuments are built on its banks, even as pile-dwellings.
I did not see any boat on the river, so I think that navigation is not allowed.
Holy Maria is venerated in the thai way
There are a few catholic religious statues and icons insdide and outside the Cathedral.
Most of them represent Holy Maria and it is amazing to see that her statues are venerated by the local catholic community in a similar way as the buddhist do with Buddha statues: flowers, fruit, water, etc.
The big catholic cathedral
This big, french style, catholic cathedral, is the largest in Thailand.
It is named "Church of the Immaculate Conception" and its construction started in the late 19th century and it was finished in 1909.
There is a large catholic community in Chanthaburi, mainly made of Vietnamese immigrants and refugees.
The Cathedral is located in central Chanthaburi, on Chanthanimit road, on the river bank.
Address: Chanthanimit road
Directions: On the river bank
More Reviews (2)
dabuwan's Related Pages
Chanthaburi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I just love Chanthaburi"
- "Travelling alonE"
- "A quiet capital town with its own taste."
- "Banthad Refugee Camp"
- "Chanthaburi, Thailand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chanthaburi
- Hotels in Chanthaburi
- Transportation in Chanthaburi
- Restaurants in Chanthaburi
- See All...
Explore the World
- Teguise Hotels
- La Herradura
- Finchville Hotels
- Hepburn Springs
- Summerton Hotels
- Saint Clements Island Hotels
- Playa del Ingles
Badges & Stats in Chanthaburi
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Chanthaburi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chanthaburi
Photos in ChanthaburiSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Aleppo Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algeria Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sestri Levante Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayo Largo Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Ko Bulon Le Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos