"The historical capital of Thailand" Ayuthaya by dabuwan
Ayuthaya Travel Guide: 688 reviews and 2,161 photos
Ayuthaya, 80 kms north of Bangkok, has been the prosperous capital of Thailand for about four centuries, from 1350 to 1767, during the "golden age" of the siamese kingdom.
Because of the burmese invasions and sacks most of the Ayuthaya monuments, though partially restored, are in ruinous condition. Nevertheless their grandeur and magic beauty can still be appreciated and Ayuthaya is one of the most interesting and fascinating destinations in Thailand.
The many monuments are scattered on a vast area, but the most important of them are located in the so called "Ayuythaya Historical Park", an island encircled by the Chao Praya river, that can be easily reached on foot from modern Ayuthaya and visited on a daytrip.
There are almost no guards around, so it is of vital importance that all visitors behave correctly, avoiding to climb the monuments or to further damage them. Ayuthaya has been declared a UNESCO world heritage in 1991.
There a few local guys hanging around the ruins looking for tourists. Some of them would like to play as guides, others... more travel advice
The Wat Phu Khao Thong or "Temple of the Golden Mountain" is located a couple of kms to the north of town. This massive... more travel advice
dabuwan's Related Pages
Ayuthaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Ancient City Glimpse..."
- "AYUTTHAYA -Fascinating Link with the Past"
- "The Ancient City of Ayutthaya"
- "Ayutthaya - Ancient City - A world heritage"
- "Old Heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayuthaya
- Hotels in Ayuthaya
- Transportation in Ayuthaya
- Nightlife in Ayuthaya
- Restaurants in Ayuthaya
- Shopping in Ayuthaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayuthaya
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ayuthaya
- 12 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Ayuthaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayuthaya
Photos in AyuthayaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Aleppo Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algeria Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sestri Levante Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayo Largo Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Ko Bulon Le Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
Latest Ayuthaya hotel reviews
- Baan Lotus Guest House
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Ayutthaya Place Youth Hostel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2012
- Krungsri River Hotel
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Tony's Place
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- U-Thong Inn
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2012
- The Old Palace Resort
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- P.U. Inn Ubonpon
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 5, 2013
- Ayothaya Hotel
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013