"A remote outpost" Sangkhla Buri by dabuwan
Sangkhla Buri Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 71 photos
Sangkhla Buri (or just one word, Sangkhlaburi) is a small town in Kanchanaburi Province, 360 kms north west of Bangkok, at the border with Myanmar.
The town itself is nothing special, but the huge (artificial) Khao Laem Lake and the small villages and settlements along its shores are fascinating and interesting.
Population is mainly made of Burmese refugees from the Karen and Mon tribes. The Three Pagodas Pass (border with Myanmar) is just a few kms away, but crossing may be difficult.
There is big military presence due to the large number of refugees, smugglers and possible unrests. Everything was quiet and people very kind when I visited.
Most of the small villages and settlements along the lake shores have floating houses: very picturesque. Some of them... more travel advice
The huge Khao Laem Lake is artificial and exists only since 1983 when a dam was built on the Khwae Noi river. It is... more travel advice
dabuwan's Related Pages
Sangkhla Buri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A hidden paradise"
- "A remote outpost"
- "Sangkhlaburi - A Rustic But Homely Town"
- "Mon or Karen?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sangkhla Buri
- Hotels in Sangkhla Buri
- Transportation in Sangkhla Buri
- Restaurants in Sangkhla Buri
- Warnings and Dangers in Sangkhla Buri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sangkhla Buri
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Sangkhla Buri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sangkhla Buri
Photos in Sangkhla BuriSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 45 photos
- Jordan Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Aleppo Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algeria Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sestri Levante Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayo Largo Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Ko Bulon Le Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos