"Kawthoung: the southern tip of Myanmar" Top 5 Page for this destination Kawthoung by dabuwan

Kawthoung Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 42 photos

It took a while to find this location in VT: Kawthoung, is sometimes written as Kawthaung and is often referred to as Victoria Point (the old name).
Anyway, it is a relatively large coastal town, located at the southermost tip of Burma, exactly in front of Thailand town Ranong, from which it is divided by the mouth of river Pachong.
It is a quiet place with an active port and a nice buddhist temple on top of a hill overlooking the town, the river mouth and the Andaman sea.
No tourist facilities in town, but on the neighbouring islands there is a 5 stars resort that sometimes organizes excursions into town.
More likely, you'll visit Kawthoung on a daytrip from neighbouring Thailand, as you do not need a visa to do this, just a sort of "special permit". I do not know how official it is, but it's anyway a common practice.

• Last visit to Kawthoung: Jan 1997
  • Intro Updated Feb 8, 2003

• Aug 8, 2013 at 2:35 AM

can I get from myanmar into thailand here? and what are the conditions

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2005 at 5:37 PM

it's lovely! thanks for sharing :)

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2003 at 8:56 AM

The Buddhist temple is really wonderful, such bright colours. Informative transportation tip.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2003 at 3:45 PM

What an interesting place to visit ! - - I hope to see it one day...

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2003 at 4:58 PM

The temples in Burma are just stunning especially the interior... so different from others I've seen. Good tips about the passport and length of stay. Interesting page.

• lichinga's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2003 at 4:30 AM

Fantastica l'idea del giretto in giornata e il passaporto in ostaggio

• aukjejetty's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2003 at 5:46 AM

I got those cigars from a friend and my dad [who is a true cigarsmoker] said that they tasted quite good, especially considering the price! Great way to see some of Burma!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2003 at 12:14 PM

What a great off the beaten path location!

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2003 at 11:51 PM

I tried to go here during my trip to Thailand but it was closed. Thanks for showing what I missed because no guide books seem to have photos of this place.

• andreslo2000's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2003 at 6:45 PM

Great pages of Asia. I hope I'll go there soon. And by the way - thx for rate my Rijeka pages so well (first time I got only 5s :-)

dabuwan

“A loaded gun won't set you free”

Badges & Stats in Kawthoung

Have you been to Kawthoung?

Latest Activity in Kawthoung