"TURJAK" Turjak by olja1234
Turjak Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 31 photos
The Turjak Castle is one of the most important castles of the former Carniola region. It is locatet close to Ljubljana - about 30 km south of it and is recomanded also as a half day trip.
About 500 m from the main road there is the village Turjak and on the hill - the castle of Turjak.
Present castle was mentioned in 1220. It was owned by Auersperg family. It was burned down in 1943. Some parts were renovated later.
The renovation of the castle still continues
Wild bullock of tur was chosen by counts of Turjak because of a legend.
The legend says that a heroic count of Turjak caught the last tur left after five days of hunting. That tur blocked the building of a castle.
Their castle, family and village are named after tur - Turjak
People say that it is more than 700 years old.
This lime - tree inspired our great poet dr.France Preseren in his poem about Rosamunda of Turjak
I highy recommand this restaurant. It is not the cheapiest one, but the experience worth every EUR you pay for. The food... more travel advice
Very old and very well visited inn "Pri Kuklj" at Velike Lasce. It is located in the centre of Velike Lasce, by the road... more travel advice
olja1234's Related Pages
Turjak Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Turjak
- 22 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Turjak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turjak
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ljubljana Intro, 51 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skofja Loka Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gouvernorat de Monastir Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos
- Cividale del Friuli Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos, 6 travelogues
- Zadar Intro, 16 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bled Intro, 21 reviews, 47 photos
- Secovlje Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue