Duino Things to Do Tips by olja1234 Top 5 Page for this destination
Duino Things to Do: 16 reviews and 39 photos
Duino was the first town, we visited during our one day trip to Duino, Aquilela and Grado, in the middle of May.
Duino is a small town, about 20 km from Trieste, whose main sight is the Castello di Duino.
Photo of the Castello di Duino taken from the inner side.
Since it was opened to the public again, in 2003, I believe, many people, being nearby, make a halt and visit this beautiful castle. It absolutely deserves to stop off.
Between 1911 and 1912, famous poet Rainer Maria Rilke was a guest of the princess Marie von Thurn und Taxis in Duino. And Duino was the place, where he got the inspiration for his famous Duinese elegies.
Duino Castle, located alongside the coast, is encircled with magnifical gardens. There is a marvellous view to the town of Duino, its splendid bay, the rocky beaches and to the harbour.
Interior of the castle is breathing with culture and history. offering on display, paintings, letters, coins, library, and much more.
On the photo, you can see the letter which the present Queen of Great Britain - Elisabeth II wrote far - off 1958.
A splendid inner court (see the photo) with the well on one side, is the ideal setting for a chamber music festival.
Behind the well, a staircase leads up to the top of the watch tower. It is worth of any effort - panoramic view is magnificent.
The Castello di Duino was opened to the public in 2003. The entrance to the castle start with a wonderful park (in full blooming) , decorated with the row of statues. Vaulted door leads to the inner court of the castle.
Today's castle was first mentioned in 1363 and is opened for visitors. During passed centuries there were a row of different owners, as the patriarchs of Aquileia, the Venetian republic, the roman emperrors of the German nation and the Habsburgs. The castle is now owned by the princes von Thurn und Taxis.
Old castle is situated on a high rock, overlooking Adriatic on the one side and the Furlania Lowlands on the other side.
Old Castello di Duino, dated back to the 11 th century, and nowadays, only ruins remind on the times, passed long long ago.
olja1234's Related Pages
Duino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rilke Path"
- "Duino, Thurn und Taxis retreat"
- "Duino - Sistiana"
- "NEAR THE SLOVENIA BORDER"
- "The beautiful path"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Duino
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Duino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Duino
Photos in DuinoSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ljubljana Intro, 51 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 44 reviews, 49 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 19 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skofja Loka Intro, 26 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gouvernorat de Monastir Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos
- Cividale del Friuli Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Australia and Oceania Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos, 6 travelogues
- Zadar Intro, 16 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bled Intro, 21 reviews, 47 photos
- Secovlje Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue