"Jen in Amsterdam !!" Amsterdam by jenniferchin

Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,245 reviews and 21,479 photos

Amsterdam is a cool city - filled with cosmopolitan people with an intergal mishmash haven of all opposites. I walked around Amsterdam starstrucked ~ great to hear all sorts of languages around you and seeing all sorts of people milling by.

I like this picture of the clock on the wall. This was taken in a restaurant in the Centraal Station (the Main station) where we had coffee. We had just gotten into Amsterdam and was looking for some info and maps to move around. I remember sitting, nursing my latte and thinking to myself "Wow .... here I am in Amsterdam !! Finally !!"

Impressions and Musings

Here is a summary of what I remember of my time in Amsterdam (in no particular order) :

1. Meeting VTer Imaniac @ Roy for a quick dinner in a cosy indonesian restaurant ;
2. Meeting my Malaysian friend, Ray, for a cool dinner and drinks. So far, I have been consistently meeting up with him whenever I am in Europe (grand total of 2 times now .. pfff !!) :-)
3. Amsterdam has a certain charm about her ~ a very relaxed but busy atmospere ~ I like it. Encourages one to just walk and wander about the little streets.
4. How expensive parking is here (now *that* is a whole new tale on its own .. but I will not start it here)
5. Of course I was curious about the Red Light Area and made it a point to stay there. What can I say ? I adore the hectic and crowded little walkways, whilst oggling at the people and the girls at the windows in the crowd of the electic mix of people there. Oh, there is quite a varied choice of restaurants there as well.
6. Enjoy the view of canals, roads and trams in one view.
7. Nearly getting killed by bicycles !! I was totally *not* prepared for that
8. There is more .. sooonnn..

• Last visit to Amsterdam: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 16, 2004

• Pod's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 1:57 AM

blimey. i remember visiting here. some years ago. lately done a few airport changes. great tips.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 6:47 AM

I love Amsterdam its my most visited city, did you know vt'er Mariajoy stayed on a houseboat during one of her numerous trips to the Dam

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2007 at 9:54 PM

To pee for free is given for me and thee :~)

• VincentJJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 1:23 AM

And when are you in Holland again?

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2006 at 10:41 AM

Fun tips! I remember liking the Centraal station as well!

• bkoon's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2005 at 6:49 PM

Ha ha ... Pee For Free. I miss the art museums and galleries in Amsterdam. And the lovely canals. Bee :)

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2005 at 1:58 PM

OK, so just how long did you sit on the appropriately shaped seven-foot long vibrating chairs for??? Perhaps that why your hotel was so quiet at night, everyone was already knackered?

• Jun 6, 2005 at 8:17 AM

I have spent a short May holiday in Amsterdam. Unfortunately, my impressions of the city have been damaged by an exceptionally poor customer service we have received at the Centraal Station. The incident took place on May 29, 10:55 am, ticket desk 8.

• ronaldbarr's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2005 at 11:43 PM

Greetings from Ireland Jen. Loved your NL tips. I have a new travelogue on my Belfast page that will interest you. Strange coastal pictures. Enjoy. ronaldbarr

• airasia's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2005 at 7:17 PM

good ambition friend. hope your plan works. makan pun kena jimat jimat yeah.

jenniferchin

“Travel travel .. always travel :-)) Change is indeed GOOD !”

Badges & Stats in Amsterdam

Have you been to Amsterdam?

Latest Activity in Amsterdam