"Jen in Ayutthaya" Ayuthaya by jenniferchin

Ayuthaya Travel Guide: 704 reviews and 2,218 photos

Breath taking

For someone who has not been to Angkor Wat, the closest grandeur of ruins for me would be Ayutthaya. This is one place I want to visit for the longest time. Granted, my knowledge of its rich history is not exactly the best (am working on that !), but the stunning visuals that I have seen have impressed me to no end.

There is this air of calm and peace when walking around the ruins. The air filled with whispers, sights of colours, heaven-reaching chedis, smiling Buddhas and lots of bricks. Frangipani trees line the area, giving it a very pretty and, again, calming look.

So I took a bike taxi from Sukhumvit to Mo Chit Chai. It was a long ride and my face was a little numb after the ride :-) Mo Chit Chai is the northern bus station, near the famed Chatuchak market. As it was the day before the last day of 2006, the bus terminal was FILLED with people, mostly locals, heading home, I guess. I was lucky, the bus to Ayutthaya was waiting for me at Platform 113. Hopped on it, and we were off.

At the drop off point in Ayutthaya, I found myself in sort of a middle-of-nowhere place, alike an empty ghost town - dusty, HOT and quiet. But my eyes got used to the scorching sun, I see that there were reliable bike taxis around and, of course, a 7-11 nearby. Big smile. I will be fine here :-)

In summary, I went to the glorious Wat Phra Si Sanphet, the quiet Wat Phra Ram opposite and the very impressive and beautiful Wat Chai Wattanaram nearby.

After the wat visits, I got into a tuk tuk and made my way to the train station. Well, what can I say ? I love this station - its all white walls and dark brown blackish wood. Simple seats for everyone. A golden bell, which the station master rings whenever a train is arriving. Very romantic !

... Updates coming soon ...

• Last visit to Ayuthaya: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 4, 2007

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2007 at 6:11 AM

hahaha, thanks jen!!! any plan yet for 2007? i miss to visit northern part of thailand :)

• Jan 4, 2007 at 11:12 PM

agreeing with hez... i like your style of writing jen, almost makes me feel like i was there just lazing around and relaxed too! looking forward to your updates and pics!

• hez28's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 10:51 PM

something nice to read on a quiet friday :) yeah, everyone's still on their "new year break". pfft. look forward to seeing your updates, jenny! :D

jenniferchin

“Travel travel .. always travel :-)) Change is indeed GOOD !”

Badges & Stats in Ayuthaya

Have you been to Ayuthaya?

Latest Activity in Ayuthaya