"Welcome to horsinround2's HomePage" horsinround2's Profile

Hello All!

Thank you to everyone who has put so much effort into their pages! I thoroughly enjoy reading about your travels and daydreaming about new trip destinations. For now my budget is limited and I do more daydreaming than packing. But when it's time to pack those suitcases and head out to explore the world, you all have done a wonderful job of helping me prepare for the trip.

A little bit about me...

I'm an N.California farm girl that moved to Tennessee in 2004. I love dogs, horses, gardening, country music, rodeo, reading, and hammocks. I also like to explore new places - which is how I ended up on VT.

I grew up in a small N.California farming community on a couple hundred acres with a whole bunch of cousins to keep me company. We had chickens, cows, pigs, horses, rabbits, sheep, dogs, and too many cats to count. Summers were spent outdoors working on the farm, swimming in the river, riding bicycles through the biggest mud puddles we could find, driving rusty old pick-up trucks, riding ATV's, hiding in Grandma's basement so we could read instead of work, lying in the tall grass watching the clouds float by, and sliding down hills on cardboard. I went to kindergarten in the same one room schoolhouse my great grandmother attended. The nearest grocery store & movie theatre were a 45 minute drive away, the nearest shopping mall and hour & a half, and the nearest major airport a three hour drive. Life was good!

Summers were also time for family vacations. Everyone went somewhere and everyone drove to their various destinations. We spent a lot of time camping, bicycle riding, and fishing in and around CA, OR, and WA. Some of our other frequent destinations included So. Lake Tahoe and So.Cal. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've been to Disneyland. We aso drove to Canada and Mexico - two incredibly different destinations! Usually our trips included stopping to see family along the way (I think I've got some form of relations EVERYWHERE!). Our most memorable family trip was when my parents got the insane idea to drive around the western half of the USA in a motorhome. So now, my first thoughts when planning a vacation include, "How long of a drive is it?". It usually takes me a while to think of checking out airfare.

Now that I'm an adult my vacation style has evolved a bit. I still drive to a lot of places, but the last two years I flew more miles than I drove. My idea of roughing it is a campground with hot showers and flush toilets. I still like hanging out in a boat on the lake with a fishing pole, but I don't bother to bait the hook and can be found using the life jackets as pillows while I escape into a book. Haven't caught anything yet ;-) I travel with my sister a lot and we can frequently be found behind the bucking chutes at various rodeos admiring all of those Wranglers. One of our most interesting trips involved taking our mother to Rome, Italy for Mother's Day 2005 and was a lot of fun.

For over 13 years my best travel companion was Rocco, my dog. He went with me whenever he could and got all sorts of happy when he saw his travel bag being put in the car. I usually caved after a block of his barking in my ear and rolled the windows down so that he could ride with his head out the window, ears flapping in the wind. He barked at red lights & slow cars because he was always in a hurry to get to our destination - even when he hadn't a clue what it was. So if you've ever had a black PT Cruiser behind you on your laid-back Sunday drive and there was a large dog barking out the window at you, that was Rocco yelling at you to get out of our way.

My passport pic... this is my niece, Sara. She is a 9 year old Chow / Keishound mix and my sister's pride & joy. "The princess" was in the middle of shaking her head in this photo. That's Rocco in front of the Christmas tree.

My perfect day...

My perfect day starts early - with the sunrise. I head down to the barn to feed horses & clean stalls. I eat breakfast on the deck with my dog while watching the horses in the pasture. On the way back to the barn I pull a few weeds and do some flower deadheading in my garden. Then it's time for some work in the round pen and a morning ride through the vineyards. It's a beautiful, warm, sunny day so baths for everyone with four legs. After lunch I nap in the hammock with a book covering my face from the sun (I started out reading it). A few chores later it's time to start dinner. Dinner is served in the barn for everyone including my human guests. We catch up on each others lives while listening to the horses munching hay in the background and with dogs at our feet as the sunset paints the sky breathtaking shades of pink and orange.

I have had glimpses of this dream grace my life, but have yet to be blessed with the whole.

One of my favorite quotes ...

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

• Intro Updated Jul 29, 2008

• SONG's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2012 at 9:19 AM

AWOL for a year and a half....IF you poke your head in here, we are all wishing you a Happy Birthday. One X Nashville gal to a Nashville gal. :-)

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Wishing you a wonderful birthday filled with laughter and friendship - and cake! :-)

• ymike2000's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Happy birthday!

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2010 at 4:36 AM

Busy is good! I have been moving around in NY, hopefully I will settle down soon & looking foward to next trip!

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Thanks :-) It was a small celebration, only family, but just what we needed :-))

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Hi, Happy Birthday! where ya been?

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 5:00 AM

Happy Birthday Melissa!

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2009 at 11:56 PM

I know that I am late to say Happy B-Day. I hope your day was as special as you are. On that note, so what's up in yer neck of the weeds?? ~

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Great HP. Lovely dogs. Gillybob greetings

• Aopaq's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Really enjoyed reading about your furry children....especially Rocco and Lily! I hope you enjoy many more years of fun and games with your "kids".

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
horsinround2's Profile Photo

horsinround2

“One does not discover New Lands without consenting to lose sight of the Shore for a Very Long time. ~Andre Gide”

Real Name