"Two days before an election" Phnom Penh by penpoison

Phnom Penh Travel Guide: 1,459 reviews and 3,835 photos

When I first made my travel arrangements, I didn't realize that I was going to Cambodia two days before an election. When I first arrived there there was a lot of traffic with the three parties campaigning. With all the hoopla it was not a very peaceful day. I think I even saw a smoke bomb outside one of the hotels. Luckily the next day it was very quiet and the election went off without a hitch. Though at the time, I met an expat or two who were planning to leave the city for a few days just to avoid the possible riots. I might also add the Colin Powell was in Cambodia 2 weeks before I arrived to pressure the Cambodians to run a clean election.

• Last visit to Phnom Penh: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 25, 2003

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Only 7 survived! Wow! Nice job. Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2004 at 6:15 PM

Amazing travelogue on this prison. I was chilled reading and seeing it. And so sad....

• Dec 7, 2003 at 8:51 PM

Excellant page, fantastic albums, nice tips and useful information.Many many happy returns of the day.Wishing you a happy birthday and all the best in future.Hope you will had a nice birthday bash yesterday night.

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 7:07 AM

Great travelogues that bring back wonderfule memories. I shall be there again in a month's time.

• kimmo_v's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2003 at 7:44 AM

Excellent travelogue! I just saw a document on that prison, also guards were interviewed. Unbelieavable thing is, that the guards STILL think they did the right thing(even they killed their own relatives;mums, dads, sisters,...).

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2003 at 8:31 AM

Beautiful page: I like your photos

• daddygila's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2003 at 6:27 PM

A powerful testimony to another dark page in human history. Well Done !!!

penpoison

“i live to eat”

Badges & Stats in Phnom Penh

Have you been to Phnom Penh?