"WELCOME TO BHUTAN" Bhutan by Narviking

Bhutan Travel Guide: 236 reviews and 901 photos

During my trip to India I also had the chance to visit neighbouring Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan. Bhutan was really a wonderful country. That fresh air, beautiful nature, interesting society and culture.... Guess Bhutan is among the most interesting countries I ever been to.

To get a visa for Bhutan was difficult as I travel independently and not on a tour. Well we finally got the visa after some kind help from my bhutanese friends. We were going to take a plane from Kathmandu to Thimphu. When we were going to check in they realized they had overbooked and there were no seat for us ! I got angry as it was the only chance for me to visit Bhutan and our friends were waiting for us in the airport. After some time we got help from the travelagency in Kathmandu that had issued our ticket. They told us we could fly from Kathmandu to Biratnagar in eastern Nepal, then travel by car via India to Thimphu in Bhutan. So we rush to the indian embassy to get indian visa, then back to airport and jumped on the plane to Biratnagar. There the travelagency had a car and driver waiting for us and it drove us the long and absolutely terrible road to Bhutan. After about 17 hours we arrived in Thimpu. But it was worth the struggle as Bhutan was absolutely amazing.

I have a penpal in Bhutan named Ugyen Tshering. He is a teacher and teach in a village far from Thimphu. It was impossible for me to go to that village but his family lives in Thimphu and they took care of us when we were in Bhutan. Hardly could we have been more lucky. Those people was just fantastic and made our stay in Bhutan so wonderful.

FOR MORE PICTURES FROM BHUTAN TAKE A LOOK AT MY TRAVELOUGES.

• Intro Updated Feb 28, 2004

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences in Bhutan. Great photos!

• juliewong's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2008 at 8:50 AM

your views of this remote country is already giving me a sense of peace and simple life.

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 11:44 AM

very intruiging

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 3:59 AM

Great insight and excellent photos of bhutan, this is truely an amazing country!

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 7:36 AM

Hi Jim, thanks for your wonderful albums on Bhutan. We are hoping to make a dream a reality with going to Bhutan in 2008. Greetings from Calgary :o) ~ Helen

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Great pictures of one of the countries that are highest on my wish list!

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2006 at 7:32 PM

Hi Jim, great tips on Bhutan. Unfortunately, VT is playing up at the minute so I can't see your photos - I'll check back later. fergy.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2006 at 7:28 PM

oh a man after my own heart you have some really good pages with great photos.

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2006 at 11:16 AM

Hi - I am thinking of trekking in Butan in October - a solo-trek as a woman --- do you think that is possible or do I have to join a group??? MAGNIFICENT PICTURES!!!

• zumodemango's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2005 at 12:19 PM

you are right! all is a" must see". Plenty of interesting pics!

Narviking

“Independent countries in the world visited so far: 153”

Badges & Stats in Bhutan