"Salva's Madrid Page" Madrid by gasca
Madrid Travel Guide: 5,411 reviews and 11,063 photos
Old memories come to my mind when thinking about Madrid.
I've been to Madrid many times since my father hometown is nearby the capital of Spain.
Inh. : 3.099.834
Altitude: 655 m (the highest capital of Europe)
Some history details:
The musleem where the first who become aware of the importance of the location when they called the place 'Macherit' (from arabian 'Mother of water') as the city is surrounded by some water reservoirs.
It was reconquered by Christians in 1013 (Alfonso VI).
Two monarchic dinasties gave the name of two famous city tours:
Los Austrias - (1504-1700)
Los Borbones - (1701-1808)
Was at the beginning of Felipe II kingdom (Austria) when this modest city of 15.000 ihn. city was chosen as 'villa' (town) and royal court, and it is for sure that water resources were also an important factor on the choice, but it wasn't till Borbones dinasty that the city really began to become conscience of urbanism.
Built with the express desire of dictator Franco in memory of combatants of both sides of Spanish Civil War (1936-1939).... more travel advice
It is one of the largest metro systems in the world, which is especially remarkable considering Madrid's population of... more travel advice
Written Aug 10, 2005
Madrid at night
Written Aug 11, 2005
Eva and VT friends meeting
gasca's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
- "Madrid is where I live"
- "Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
- "Home is where you're always from"
- "WONDERFUL MADRID"
- "As we say in Andalucia, Madri"
- "Hablemos de Madrid (Let's talk about Madrid)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Nightlife in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 18 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
Top 5 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 45 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 19 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos