"Historic Greendale" Greendale by TRimer
Greendale Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Greendale had its beginnings in 1936 when the U.S. Department of Agriculture began construction of three new communities known as the Greenbelt towns. Besides Greendale, the other two towns were Greenbelt, Maryland, and Greenhills, Ohio.
To achieve all of these purposes, the government bought 3400 acres of farm land three miles southwest of the city limits of Milwaukee. Here the community was laid out with a "Greenbelt" of parkland, garden areas and farms encircling the entire so-called urban development.
The city is now well-known around the country and the world as the home of Taste of Home magazine. The enterprise includes a visitor center and a restaurant.
The 2-mile by 2-mile town is divided into quarters. The streets in each begin with the letters, A, B, C or D and each is named for a flower, tree or animal. Names of thoroughfares are Apricot, Badger, Cardinal and Daffodil. "Streets" lead into "ways," and "ways" lead out of the village. Taking a "court" will lead one into a dead end, and all dead ends terminate at a park. Indeed, Greendale's parks were arranged so children would never have to walk along a traffic-bloated main street to reach one.
- Pros:Quaint little town, great boutiques
- Cons:It is in Wisconsin
- In a nutshell:Getaway from the hustle of the city
TRimer's Related Pages
Greendale Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Greendale
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Greendale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greendale
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 125 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 55 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 34 reviews, 23 photos
- Ireland Intro, 31 reviews, 25 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 18 photos
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 21 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Antilles Intro, 25 reviews, 15 photos