"Old Railroad Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland by TRimer
Ashland Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 110 photos
Not only is Ashland a railroad town, it's also a college town. At the northern end of Railroad Avenue is a cluster of charming 19th-century buildings, the campus of Randolph-Macon College. Established in 1830, the college was transplanted here after the Civil War.
The town's railroad tracks tell the story of Ashland, developed in 1858 as a resort for Richmonders attracted by its natural mineral springs and racetrack.
Ashland's grand homes - with their fanciful turrets, gingerbread detail and welcoming porches bordering each side of the train tracks - stand as a testament to the inescapable importance of the railroad and its romantic hold on this community.
- The community was named for Henry Clay's estate in Kentucky
- The town was founded as a health resort
- Patrick Henry delivered his famous "Give me liberty or give me death" speech here in the county courthouse
- A local girl, daughter of the Sheltons, is said to have been the inspiration for Edgar Allan Poe's "Lenore"
- Pros:Near Richmond
- Cons:Strip Malls, Chain Hotels
- In a nutshell:Not exactly what i would call romantic
Even with all the recommendations from the front desk at the hotel and the service attendant at the car dealership, we... more travel advice
As a recent connossiour so to speak of Hampton Inns, this one was just ok - nothing special. Actually, we even switched... more travel advice
TRimer's Related Pages
Ashland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The centre of the universe"
- "ASHLAND, VA"
- "ashland vrginia"
- "Ashland Travel Guide"
- "Old Railroad Town"
- "Truck Stop on I-95"
- "Historic Ashland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ashland
- Hotels in Ashland
- Transportation in Ashland
- Nightlife in Ashland
- Restaurants in Ashland
- Shopping in Ashland
- Warnings and Dangers in Ashland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ashland
- 4 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Ashland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ashland
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 125 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 55 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 34 reviews, 23 photos
- Ireland Intro, 31 reviews, 25 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 18 photos
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 21 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Antilles Intro, 25 reviews, 15 photos