"Capri" Capri by TRimer
Capri Travel Guide: 310 reviews and 951 photos
Capri, just off the Sorrentine peninsula, is a beautiful island of limestone rock whose dramatic coastline is accented with numerous caves and reefs.
The name Capri was given to the island by the Greeks, who were first to populate the island. In fact "Capri" does not, as many might think, derive from the Latin "Capreae" (goats), but rather from the Greek "Kapros" (wild boar). Today you can find boar fossil remains on the island. After the Greeks, the Romans settled on Capri. After visiting the island in 29 BC, Caesar Augustus was so taken with the its beauty that he decided to buy it from Naples, in exchange for the considerably larger and richer island of Ischia. Legend has it that his successor, Tiberius, built twelve villas, dedicating one to each of the twelve gods of Olympus, and ruled the Roman Empire from the most splendid one - the "Villa Jovis".
After The Blue Grotto was discovered at the end of the 19th Century, the large flow of tourists began. They were drawn to the island by Capri's climate, the enchanting colors, and the hospitality of the islanders. From the end of the 1800's until World War II, writers, painters, exiles, rich and eccentric visitors (e.g. Jackie Onassia) chose the island as their residence, building villas and establishing the multilingual, cosmopolitan comunity that made Capri famous.
- Pros:Spectacular views, resort atmosphere
- Cons:Lots of Tourists ascend by Day
- In a nutshell:Stay overnight to really experience it
The Blue Grotto is a symbol of the island of Capri. The Romans celebrated the beauty of the place by decorating it with... more travel advice
One of the quickest and easiest way to get from the Marina Grande (where the hydrofoils and ferries arrive) and Capri... more travel advice
TRimer's Related Pages
Capri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magical Capri"
- "Tiny, expensive, exclusive............."
- "Capri CAH-pree"
- "Capri - Garden of Eden"
- "The beautiful coastline of Capri!"
- "Views from Mount Solaro"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Capri
- Hotels in Capri
- Transportation in Capri
- Nightlife in Capri
- Restaurants in Capri
- Shopping in Capri
- Warnings and Dangers in Capri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Capri
- 16 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Capri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Capri
Photos in CapriSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 125 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 55 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 34 reviews, 23 photos
- Ireland Intro, 31 reviews, 25 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 18 photos
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 21 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Antilles Intro, 25 reviews, 15 photos