"Beautiful Swellendam" Top 5 Page for this destination Swellendam by TRimer
Swellendam Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 58 photos
In researching places to stop between Hermanus and the Garden Route and discoverd the town of Swellendam. What a gem of a find. Swellendam lies in the Overberg region halfway between Cape Town and the Garden Route. The town's streets are lined with beautiful whitewashed Cape Dutch homesteads resting in the shade of the old oak trees and in the background protectively towers the Langeberg Range. Numerous buildings both in Cape Dutch and in Victorian style stand witness to the town's rich history.
Swellendam is the third-oldest town in South Africa. The town was founded by the Dutch east India Company in 1745 in order to exercise control over independent frontiersmen who migrated over the Hottentots Holland Mountains at the beginning of the 18th century. A landdrost was appointed and a Drostdy and other building were erected. The town was named after the reigning Governor of the Cape Province Hendrik Swellengrebel and his wife Helena ten Damme.
- Pros:Beautiful quaint town, good B&Bs
- Cons:No nightlife, non-existant shopping, sites, etc.
- In a nutshell:A great stop over to/from CT and Garden Route
I found this B&B through the Portfolio Collection site. We reserved the Varkoor Cottage which is set in a garden close... more travel advice
This place is Joe's culinary find of the honeymoon. We were driving from Knysna to Franschhoek and we were looking for a... more travel advice
TRimer's Related Pages
Swellendam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Swellendam"
- "The Republic of Swellendam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swellendam
- Hotels in Swellendam
- Restaurants in Swellendam
- Warnings and Dangers in Swellendam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Swellendam
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Swellendam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swellendam
Photos in SwellendamSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 125 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 55 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 34 reviews, 23 photos
- Ireland Intro, 31 reviews, 25 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 18 photos
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 21 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Antilles Intro, 25 reviews, 15 photos