"Grasse" Grasse by TRimer
Grasse Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 137 photos
Grasse is a large town with a population of forty two thousand. The old town was constructed within the city walls which were demolished in the eighteenth century. Because of this, the buildings are tall and the streets narrow and dark.
Much of the old town is very poor with a large population of North Africans. Arab music and cooking smells fill the streets. Walking around Grasse was the first time we felf afraid all trip. With dark, dirty streets and men loitering around us we quickly made it back to our car.
Grasse has a large number of beautiful sunny squares that break up the pattern of narrow, shady streets. The Place aux Aires is one of the most beautiful, surrounded by sixteenth and seventeenth century architecture. The daily market takes place around the exquisite fourteenth century fountain in the centre of the square.
Most people go to Grasse for the perfume factories. To tell the truth, the perfume is not great smelling and their is a factory in Eze and shops in other cities.
I would skip Grasse.
- Pros:Perfume capital?
- Cons:Dirty streets, lots of vagrants/beggars
Both the Fragonard and Molinard factories have "workshops" in Grasse. In other words, they have big gift shops hocking... more travel advice
TRimer's Related Pages
Grasse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grasse: Perfume, Napoleon, and Madame Guillotine"
- "The birthcradle of parfume"
- "Grasse - Perfumeries and a Flower Market"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grasse
- Hotels in Grasse
- Transportation in Grasse
- Restaurants in Grasse
- Warnings and Dangers in Grasse
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grasse
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Grasse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grasse
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 125 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 55 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 34 reviews, 23 photos
- Ireland Intro, 31 reviews, 25 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 18 photos
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 21 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Antilles Intro, 25 reviews, 15 photos