"Grasse" Grasse by TRimer

Grasse Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 149 photos

Not Worth the Trip

Grasse is a large town with a population of forty two thousand. The old town was constructed within the city walls which were demolished in the eighteenth century. Because of this, the buildings are tall and the streets narrow and dark.

Much of the old town is very poor with a large population of North Africans. Arab music and cooking smells fill the streets. Walking around Grasse was the first time we felf afraid all trip. With dark, dirty streets and men loitering around us we quickly made it back to our car.

Grasse has a large number of beautiful sunny squares that break up the pattern of narrow, shady streets. The Place aux Aires is one of the most beautiful, surrounded by sixteenth and seventeenth century architecture. The daily market takes place around the exquisite fourteenth century fountain in the centre of the square.

Most people go to Grasse for the perfume factories. To tell the truth, the perfume is not great smelling and their is a factory in Eze and shops in other cities.

I would skip Grasse.

• Pros:Perfume capital?
  • Cons:Dirty streets, lots of vagrants/beggars
  • Last visit to Grasse: May 2002
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2005

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2004 at 4:59 PM

Thanks for the insightful tips.

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2003 at 5:34 PM

Yikes, what an illuminating narrative in your intro here. Grasse was a quick stop on my Provencal daytrip out of Nice, so my only experience here *was* the Fragonard factory. I knoooow what you mean there...;-}}}

TRimer

“Too many places to see, too little time (especially now that I have toddlers)”

Badges & Stats in Grasse