"Menton" Top 5 Page for this destination Menton by TRimer
Menton Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 292 photos
Menton is the last town on the coast before the Italian border.
Menton is situated on the Golfe de la Paix (Gulf of Peace), on a rocky promontory that divides the bay in two. The fishing town, the older part with its narrow streets, is in the east; the tourist zone and residential belt are in the west.
Menton was part of the Principality of Monaco until 1861 when it was sold to France along with neighboring Roquebrune. The town became well known as a health resort at the end of the nineteenth century and was visited by large numbers of royalty and aristocrats from abroad, especially from England.
The town center just behind the seafront is one of the most beautiful anywhere on the coast. The architecture here is superb, turn of the century hotels stand alongside huge Italianate palaces.
Menton is one of the most colorful towns on the Riviera and all of the town’s gardens are full of beautiful flowers and semi-tropical plants. Menton is world renowned for the growing of Oranges and Lemons and this is celebrated with the Lemon Festival in February which attracts over 300,000 visitors every year.
- Pros:Picturesque Little Town
- Cons:The Promenade is full of Touristy Shops
- In a nutshell:More Italian Riveria than French
This baroque church dominates the town. The basilica, which is surrounded by sun-drenched roofs, ancient terraced walls... more travel advice
The Bastion, home to the Jean Cocteau Museum, is situation at the port's entrance. The restaurants along the water offer... more travel advice
TRimer's Related Pages
Menton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Menton - lemons, flowers, and Jean Cocteau"
- "Italy with a touch of France or vice versa"
- "MENTON: formerly Monaco with a lovely microclimate"
- "Menton, France"
- "On the Italian-French borders"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Menton
- Hotels in Menton
- Transportation in Menton
- Nightlife in Menton
- Restaurants in Menton
- Shopping in Menton
- Warnings and Dangers in Menton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Menton
- 7 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Menton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Menton
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 125 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 55 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 34 reviews, 23 photos
- Ireland Intro, 31 reviews, 25 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 18 photos
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 21 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Antilles Intro, 25 reviews, 15 photos