"Saint Paul de Vence" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Paul by TRimer
Saint-Paul Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 148 photos
St. Paul de Vence has long been a favorite of art-lovers and architecture enthusiasts alike. The town is perched atop a hill (you have to walk up quite an incline to get to the walled city). For great views of the countryside (as well as the seas and the mountains), walk along the parapets surrounding the old town. The streets are paved with river-rock in a beautiful sunflower pattern.
Walking into the center of town (before you walk up to the walled vilalge), you will pass the famed Colombe d'Or restaurant on the left and the boules (pétanque) court on the right. The town is filled with lots of tourist shops but there are some wonderful shops that are selling local products (paintings, porcelan, etc. ) and some interesting art galleries.
The Foundation Maeght, a world-class modern art museum, is located nearby. Growing up, my mom had prints from the Gallerie Maeght all over our house. It is known for modern works from such artists as Calder and Klee.
Although the village itself is one of the most intact medieval examples of the region, with much of the ramparts still there, it's hard to see anything inside the village except other tourists. Therefore it is best to go early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
- Pros:Very quaint.
- Cons:Full of tourists. Expensive upscale shops.
- In a nutshell:Not to be missed.
A cute little artisan shop, Atelier Tholance presents exquisite hand painted porcelains and ceramics produced right on... more travel advice
Walking aroung the walled city you can see why St. Paul is a favorite subject for artists. The streets are narrow and... more travel advice
TRimer's Related Pages
Saint-Paul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint-Paul de Vence"
- "St-Paul de Vence"
- "Saint Paul de Vence"
- "A cute southern village - Un mignon petit village"
- "Another beautiful medieval village St Paul d/Vence"
- "Paradise for painters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Paul
- Transportation in Saint-Paul
- Restaurants in Saint-Paul
- Shopping in Saint-Paul
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint-Paul
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint-Paul
- 6 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Saint-Paul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Paul
Photos in Saint-PaulSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 125 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 55 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 34 reviews, 23 photos
- Ireland Intro, 31 reviews, 25 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 30 reviews, 18 photos
- Rome Intro, 27 reviews, 21 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Positano Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Antilles Intro, 25 reviews, 15 photos