"Saint Paul de Vence" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Paul by TRimer

Saint-Paul Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 148 photos

Village of Artists

St. Paul de Vence has long been a favorite of art-lovers and architecture enthusiasts alike. The town is perched atop a hill (you have to walk up quite an incline to get to the walled city). For great views of the countryside (as well as the seas and the mountains), walk along the parapets surrounding the old town. The streets are paved with river-rock in a beautiful sunflower pattern.

Walking into the center of town (before you walk up to the walled vilalge), you will pass the famed Colombe d'Or restaurant on the left and the boules (pétanque) court on the right. The town is filled with lots of tourist shops but there are some wonderful shops that are selling local products (paintings, porcelan, etc. ) and some interesting art galleries.

The Foundation Maeght, a world-class modern art museum, is located nearby. Growing up, my mom had prints from the Gallerie Maeght all over our house. It is known for modern works from such artists as Calder and Klee.

Although the village itself is one of the most intact medieval examples of the region, with much of the ramparts still there, it's hard to see anything inside the village except other tourists. Therefore it is best to go early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

• Pros:Very quaint.
  • Cons:Full of tourists. Expensive upscale shops.
  • In a nutshell:Not to be missed.
  • Last visit to Saint-Paul: May 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2005

• chbuchie's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2005 at 4:38 AM

Hi nice pages about St-Paul ! Feel free to have a look at mine greetz from antwerp, C

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 7:37 AM

We are planning to visit Saint-Paul when we are in Nice this September. Thanks for the good information. Marcia

• gregoryr1m's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2004 at 7:25 PM

Hi Traci, I loved St. Paul de Vince when I visited it. Thanks for the memories. - Greg

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2003 at 1:53 PM

I enjoyed my brief stop in St Paul. Your photos and descriptions reminded me of those wonderful narrow streets. I wish I'd taken more photos. You obviously saw a lot more than I did. Thanks for the page.

• maritagnes's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2003 at 4:55 AM

Wonderful page from a place I dream of visiting one day!

TRimer

“Too many places to see, too little time (especially now that I have toddlers)”

Badges & Stats in Saint-Paul

Have you been to Saint-Paul?

Latest Activity in Saint-Paul