"Where to next?" TRimer's Profile

Like everyone else who is a member of VT, I love to travel. I think it is in my genes as well as my blood.

I am originally from New York but my family moved to Hong Kong when I was 12. My dad was an executive at a bank and each year we were able to travel all throughout the world on our way back to the states. I have traveled fairly extensively throughout Asia with the notable exception of Australia which is on top of my list. I have been on safari in Kenya, camped in China before it had relations with the West and have recently visited Cuba.

I now live in Chicago which is one of the cleanest and friendliest places that I have ever been. After a few years of traveling around the US for business, I have now reawakened my love of foreign travel. This past year I have manly been traveling throughout the United States. I have to been to many new cities in the South and Northeast.

I also have a love of photography. This picture I took of China from the New Territories in Hong Kong when I was 12.

My husband, Joe, and I at Jimmy Buffett Concert at Wrigley.

For our honeymoon we went to South Africa - check out my pages.

Travel Commandments - From Daily Candy

Here are some of my favorites sent in from readers:

Splurge for ambiance. Sipping a drink at the Four Seasons in Milan during Fashion Week is worth the 20-euro vodka.

When in doubt, overdress. Nothing screams American more than a track suit with a catchphrase on the ass.

Have Plans B and C ready in case palaces are closed for no apparent reason. Sometimes it’s a siesta. Sometimes it’s just Wednesday.

Take a digital picture of your luggage and keep it on your camera (print a copy, too) in case the airline loses your bag. Making a list of the contents of your suitcase is a hassle, but it will ensure your bag always makes it.

Don’t be too swayed by international fashion trends. Just because that Barcelona baby can pull off the mullet/sneaker boots combo doesn’t mean you can.

Select a Plan B hotel for each location. Hotels can look better on websites than in person, and it’s easier to walk away when you know you have an alternative.

The street you are looking for is the one that’s missing the street sign.

You will get ripped off at some point. Don’t take it personally. Consider it your small contribution to the local economy.

• Intro Updated Jun 18, 2010

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
TRimer's Profile Photo

TRimer

“Too many places to see, too little time (especially now that I have toddlers)”

Real Name