"MONSCHAU... a hidden Pearl" Monschau by pepples46
Monschau Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 288 photos
the Pearl in the Eifel, but many just pass by, from the Road, it looks like an other wee Village.
take the time and drive down and be surprised what you would have missed.
the wee Town was first mentioned in 1198, the Castle build in 1135. after a short War...Europe had so many Wars....
1543,King Karl V claimed Monschau into his estate, Juelich. 1614 Monschau fell to the House of the Counts to Pfalz-Neuburg.
1795 the French came to Town and called it Montjoie, after they left, Monschau actually prospered in the cloth-trade, well known over the whole of Germany. the beautiful Buildings are from this era, lovingly restored over the centuries.1918, Montjoie was changed into Monschau again
the Riverside..and I now might need to say..it used to be the best kept secret in the Eifel...many compare it with Colmar in the Alsace, they might have a point.
Monschau ist wunderschoen und sooooo ruhig!! But as ATLC told me, the Tourists swamping in...
a well, then one has to choose a quiet time..maybe Autum (Fall) maybe Spring.
the natural Beauty still exist and the old Tudor Houses..Fachwerk Hauses, are not only quaint, but of the highest Buildingstandards with all the modern Convenience one can think of.
- In a nutshell:you wish, you had planned more time for Monschau
lead to Monschau..the map shows how easy, from Aachen or Cologne, even a trip from Koblenz is not that far either more travel advice
are very hospitable,often they would invite in their homes for a cuppa..well maybe that has changed, but you definitly... more travel advice
pepples46's Related Pages
Monschau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Monschau in the Eifel-hills"
- "Monschau - Montjoie"
- "Well preserved houses from the middle ages"
- "Monschau, Germany"
- "Monschau & Maria Laach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monschau
- Hotels in Monschau
- Transportation in Monschau
- Restaurants in Monschau
- Shopping in Monschau
- Warnings and Dangers in Monschau
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Monschau
- 13 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Monschau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monschau
Top 10 Pages
- Brazil Intro, 57 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia and Oceania Intro, 50 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canterbury Intro, 54 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Island Intro, 57 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues
- Aranui Intro, 37 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Brighton Intro, 29 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- South America Intro, 31 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Porto Alegre Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paraguay Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos