"NICKENICH...a wee honey" Nickenich by pepples46

Nickenich Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 34 photos

a funny Name, celtic roots+legacy

My Home Village
I hadn't had a clue it would show up on VT's Destination list, what a delight.
sure I had to put some pics together, most of them are in my Germany page anyway, but having a separate page for my Village is just great!
first the Celts set up shop in the area till they finished their travels and settled in the Bretagne/France and North Spain, Basque Country as well as in Wales.
the Romans arrived under Ceasar and his General Tiberius, he build a wall and called it Limes, separating the 'Barbarians' and the wild right Rhine site from the new established roman territories. Hadrian build a similar wall on the english isle.
that's enough History, what I am getting at is....the place is pretty old with a pretty interesting past..
Die Pellenz is the Regions name: from the latin:Palatium.
it would take some doing to explain it all .
for all german speaking VT travellers, have a look

NICKENICH

picture postcard, a Schoolfriend send, actually written to someone else in 1903 and showing the village as it was at this time.
with Inginuity and a bit fantasy, my Friend made copies of it. sold very well in the village. heritage has to be preserved and I am happy to got one too.

the kath. Church Entrance, St. Arnulf
building started in the year 1200 on the ruins of a roman villa
several hundert years passed till the Church was finished, often interupted by natural disasters or war, finally 1739, the Church got in shape ...till this day, the community does realy look after it's Church, restoring and refurbishing every so often

• Pros:many
  • Cons:none
  • In a nutshell:roots, I could live here, but have choosen not too
  • Intro Updated Oct 23, 2006

• alza's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2006 at 7:34 PM

Frohe Neues Jahr Wal! So my favourite cake is actually from Nickenich. Gutes Essen, yum! -- 16Nov06 oh boy! great! Nickenich is still here. Thanks Wal! :)

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 10:07 PM

Those German forests are a special place // just beautiful Wal :~)

• pocketpiglet's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2006 at 11:22 PM

Hi Wal! I enjoyed my visit to the village you were born, such a beautiful place! sometimes I also visit cemeteries, like to read the epitaphs. Abraços :)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 4:47 PM

So this is where you were brought up! Nickenich looks like a fine little spot in the countryside - great tips! I was a bit like you, still love wandering around old cemeteries and skipping out on Church if I could get away with it!

• nipper1's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2005 at 9:21 PM

no pix today I'll be back.....ah I see what I missed so far. great village life and childhood memories. thank you for sharing

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 12:24 AM

Wonderful place for growing up :-) This lake looks really exciting ! And Bienenstich - ohh, I get hungry ! huggies from here :-)

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2005 at 4:07 PM

What a great picture. No wonder that they chose this one to appear on the homepage of VT. Greetz from Frank. ;---)

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2005 at 4:06 AM

wowww, celtic name >> sounds close to my beloved ones ;) yes, like michale [globetrott] said >> home sweet home, my Queen!!!! yes, i know stohlberg has nice chocolate :)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2005 at 2:01 AM

Home, sweet home & Bienenstich in Nickenich !!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 2:02 PM

l really enjoyed visiting your childhood, it looks like a lovely place to grow up in

pepples46 Used To Live Here!

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Nickenich

Have you been to Nickenich?

Latest Activity in Nickenich