"TWIZEL" Twizel by pepples46

Twizel Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 96 photos

not only a pretty face

Twizel sprang to Life as a construction town in 1960, smack bang in the middle of the beautiful MCKenzie Country, Canterbury's finest region. the town takes its name from the nearby River Twizel, named by the first Surveyor- General of NZ, John Turnball Thompson..I looked it up!!
Twizel served as housing for the constration workers who developed the Upper Waitaki Power Station, serving a large area with electricity.
when the work was done and people moved on, a dying Township emerged the harsh enviroment, surrounding the Town made it an undisirable place, till.....a few year ago.City slickers discovered the good life there and -10C in Winter makes good wintersport conditions and sizzeling 30C in summer suddenly no problem.People from all over the country where interested to settle here and some from overseas.
Real Estate moved in and the properties sold like hot cakes.
Twizel is in again

• Pros:Nature is special around Twizel
  • In a nutshell:winter is not my favorite time of the year
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2004

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Looks like a great place. I didn't realize it got so warm in summer!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 1:39 PM

Beautiful lake of Hawaiian name :-) Great area for me, I am sure and have to go there, too :-)

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 5:49 AM

Another beautiful part of NZ.. The scenery is just beautiful. Great page Matey.. ;-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 3:56 AM

Ahh, yes, you are right - Twizel is a lovely place. This picture with reflection on Lake Ohau is stunning !!! ^..^

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2006 at 10:46 PM

I better stick to summer in Twizel... winter sounds a tad chilly!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2005 at 3:31 PM

Waltraud, a beautiful looking part of New Zealand, with those picturesque mountains and lake reflections! I cannot blame people for wanting to spend some time there!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 12:34 PM

I go with Goner: that name is so funny - really like it! Lake Ohau looks fantastic!! Lovely little page, Wal!

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2004 at 9:16 PM

I love the name of this town - I'd visit there just for the salmon - yum....

• dvideira's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2004 at 7:54 PM

Thanks God Twizel is "in" again... what a beatiful landscape. And Lake Ohau... I just cannot have enough of it. I was pleased to "meet" it in here once more. Thanks for sharing, Wal. Beijinho

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2004 at 1:11 PM

I was there in June 2001 but it was just a brief visit so did not get the chance to explore this beautiful place properly.

Ranked Member