"ARANUI" Aranui by pepples46

Aranui Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 91 photos

Christchurch's eastern Suburb

It wasn't a bad today. Kids played in the Backyards, I could hear their giggles and laughter and wee tassles, people where out in drowse walking the dog. Spring Joy, but late afternoon hell broke loose.strong winds and the rumble of the close by thunderstorm, hail followed. the backyard under water immidiatly, Cats jumping through the open window I just wanted to close...bugger!
20min later it was over and left this, a beautiful Rainbow as a present behind...it wasn't a bad day today.
I live in this area, the eastern Suburb, right close to the Beach, can hear her rumbling and the walk there takes only 15min. along the Avon into New Brighton, passing a Dairy which sells my favourite Icecream...Hockey Pockey.
I will update this page over time, taking photos of an area which does not see many tourists, a part of Christchurch, where I live
Aranui ..meaning: big path, and used to be.. till the 50's, Christchurch Vege-Garden area

the Cabbage Tree is blooming, the Maori people say: it'll be a long hot summer, yeah....I would like that.
and for all of you, who did ask me to show the Beauty ..here it is: the Cabbage Tree in full Blossom, the botanical name

CORDYLINE AUSTRALIS- and the Maori Name:
TI KOUKA

the Tree has a Palm like Apperance and the Cabbage Tree and the most dominating feature in New Zealand's green landscape.
in Spring and Summer, large heads of creamy, sweetly scentenced flower and form above, a canopy of long, grass - like leaves. a Cabbage tree can grow up to 12 meters and the central buds as well as the young leaves can be eaten, raw or roasted and it is said, it tast's like artichoke. I can imagine that the first settlers lived on this tree for a while till the first crop of spuds could be harvested.<<<<>>>>actually, the Cabbage Tree is not even a Tree

just the tallest LILY....I thought you might wanna know that

ahhhhhh summer is a real georgeous time. I don't know about you, but I love the warmer season, which actually is more moderate here in New Zealand. Always a wee breeze from the Sea and the Island situation anyway. only the Nor'wester can spoil a perfect day....having said that,
Spring is upon us, slowly but surely, things looking up.
the Swans by the River are mating, and he is a lil nervous when you come close, then he comes very close, right in your face.
winter...the page is dormand like a big baer..hybernating. then at times will be extended !! and now Spring has come again, the Peachtree in full blossom already.

• In a nutshell:it is my patch
  • Intro Updated Sep 17, 2006

• wish-nu's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2007 at 9:51 PM

hi wal, just been in the mood browsing through your wonderful south island pages. thank you for sharing, they are beautiful. hope you're doing alright. warm regards

• Greybilby's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2006 at 10:01 PM

hi Wal, in case you look at your 'homepage' go to your VTmail. hugs

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2006 at 10:55 PM

8/511... I can see why you froze that in TV time ;~)

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2006 at 1:49 PM

It still feels like summer here in Athens. I was swimming today at the lake next to my flat and watched the Kingfishers (Alkioni)swooping down for their morning meal of little black fish! Lovely! See my Vouliagmeni pages for pics of this lovely bird.

• nipper1's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 12:23 AM

sooooooooo beautiful and now Spring is here, great new pix. I see, you have a visitor from Aus

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2006 at 4:37 PM

Wunderschoen ist es bei Dir! Du hast mich gerade animiert was ueber mein eigenes home zu tun. And I dream of eating one of your cakes at night looking at the gum-tree.Your page is wonderfully written.

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2006 at 2:14 PM

What a nice, inviting page! Nobby freut sich schon auf den Gartenzaun! Mir gefallen die naechtlichen Ausblicke vom Hof natuerlich sehr gut und deine Rosen!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 11:58 PM

Hello, Waltraud! Your home-town looks beautiful. I envy you enjoy such flora and fauna. You even have snow in august! I so "miss" on a snow in summer... A joke! Privet from Moscow. Spasibo!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 10:46 PM

Es ist immer wieder schön, bei dir zuhause vorbeizuschauen! Liebe Grüße!

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2006 at 1:15 AM

Hey Wal.. love your back yard... Looks like a wonderful place. I also love the gorgeous red rose.. really beautiful colour. Cheers Matey!

Ranked Member