"the moody, the spectacular.....ARTHUR's PASS" Arthur's Pass National Park by pepples46

Arthur's Pass National Park Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 317 photos

from coast to coast

from the East Coast to the West Coast, the Pacific Ocean to the Tasman Sea and Arthur's Pass the Main Divide ( the mid-line of the Southern Alps ).....spectacular scenery is with you all along the way.
I think Mother Nature has realy gone mad here, or she was just in such good mood that she couldn't stop herself creating.
whenever I have some time, I hop in the car and drive west. an amazing sunset will greet you when you drive late afternoon from Christchurch, personally I think its the best time to make the trip. and when you drive from the west to the east, the early morning hours will take care of a complet new expirience, Jaw dropping.......

the passageway, once a steep and long track, used by Maori first in search of Pounamu, NZ Greenstone. then by the European searching for Gold at the West Coast, and when it was found...the Pass became a busy track, crossing wild and often flooded rivers, the weather as unpredictable as finding the Gold.
even today and with all creatures comfort, the weather is the main malice, bringing roadslips, and harsh driving conditions. often, when leaving Christchurch in the Sun, Arthur's Pass has having a snowstorm. nonetheless.....the spectacular overweights the moody.....Arthur's Pass, Nationalpark !!

ARTHUR"sPASS live

I think, he think's that is all his, the King or Queen of the Mountain, or for that matter my car and of course......I fell victim again, the fool I am, fell for the Gangs distraction manoevers.....he, who turns the back on me, ripped a hole in the spare tyre cover, thank god I bought that cover!!

• Pros:spectacular
  • Cons:moody
  • In a nutshell:....on a rainy day..stay at home !!
  • Intro Updated Apr 15, 2005

• Greybilby's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2006 at 10:05 PM

looks so green, so tempting

• Nov 2, 2006 at 9:46 PM

outstanding information, warnings and great photos

• aka123's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 11:44 AM

excellent page about mother nature's gift to us. thank you for sharing my Friend

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2006 at 2:48 PM

Arthur's Pass looks fascinating. Your page makes me want to see all the more.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 4:50 AM

Wonderful national park !! Lovely scenery ! I fully understand why you hop in the car so often and go this way :-)) Ahhh, I would like to come and hike :-)

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2006 at 10:52 AM

Interesting page.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2006 at 8:41 PM

All ya gotta do is teach that very smart car-tyre-eating-bird to learn from that pesky fly-catching-fantail ;~)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2006 at 8:59 AM

A beautiful area!! Been almost a year since I visited this page! Your Kea bird tip reminded me of problems the Aussies have been having with new power lines using rubber-based insulators. The birds are eating them up!!

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2005 at 4:02 AM

Wonderful page! We just got back from a trip to Arthur's Pass the other day...such a beautiful area... :)

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2005 at 3:38 AM

What a great scenery in the park! A nice place for a trip.

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Arthur's Pass National Park

Have you been to Arthur's Pass National Park?

Latest Activity in Arthur's Pass National Park