"Tracing the footsteps of Gandhi" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Gujarat by husain
State of Gujarat Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 428 photos
Mahatama Gandhi's Salt March, from Sabarmati to Dandi, in 1930, was one of his more famous non-violent protests against British rule in India, which sparked off a campaign of civil disobedience, that eventally got India her Independence.
I was shooting a feature on this Salt March in Gujarat... The final product is now a permanent exhibit at the `Eternal Gandhi Multimedia Museum' In Delhi. (www.eternalgandhi.org)
A hundred extras, and one actor playing `Gandhi'...
The march was to protest against the British salt tax.
The salt tax made it illegal for workers to freely collect their own salt from the coasts of India, making them buy salt they couldn’t really afford, and allowing a complete British monopoly.
- Pros:The history...
- Cons:the heat!
Gujarat is where Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, or `Mahatma' Gandhi was born... In a town called Porbander on 2 October... more travel advice
Even though the sight of a virtually empty beach in some of these parts may be very inviting, its not about white sand... more travel advice
husain's Related Pages
State of Gujarat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tracing the footsteps of Gandhi"
- "The home town of Mahatma Gandhiji"
- "A visit to - State of Gujrat"
- "Ahmedabad, the 'Mega-city' and hub of Gujarat"
- "Gujurat Earthquake relief"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Gujarat
- Hotels in State of Gujarat
- Transportation in State of Gujarat
- Nightlife in State of Gujarat
- Restaurants in State of Gujarat
- Shopping in State of Gujarat
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Gujarat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Gujarat
- 10 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to State of Gujarat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Gujarat
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 120 reviews, 393 photos, 5 travelogues
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 169 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 80 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kabul Intro, 33 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ladakh Range Intro, 18 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Afghanistan Intro, 10 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uttarkashi Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos