""The Second City of the British Empire"" Glasgow by husain

Glasgow Travel Guide: 1,278 reviews and 2,213 photos

My trips

I was on my second visit to Glasgow, the first time being in the year 2000. I was visiting my cousin and her family on both occassions. My second trip though, was a very short trip. Even so, with the help of my sister and brother-in-law, i did manage to pack in a reasonable bit.

Architecture

Glasgow is Scotland's largest city. It looks visibly different from most others that you`d see in Britain, lots of very imposing buildings, with an overwhelming touch of Georgian and Victorian architecture.

`City of culture'

Despite its rich cultural background, In the early 1970s, Glasgow faced troubled times... unemployment, economic slowdown and law and order issues too.

Over the years, however, the city reinvented itself, and in 1990, it was elected `European City of Culture'. I think the city grows on you as time goes by. I have spent some time looking up info on some of the places i visited while i was there, retrospectively, and the more i read up, the more it seems to have on offer. Another trip sometime hopefully...

• In a nutshell:less touristy compared to Edinburgh perhaps, but it has its own charm...
  • Last visit to Glasgow: Aug 2000
  • Intro Updated Jul 16, 2006

Badges & Stats in Glasgow

Have you been to Glasgow?

Latest Activity in Glasgow