""The Second City of the British Empire"" Glasgow by husain
Glasgow Travel Guide: 1,308 reviews and 2,382 photos
I was on my second visit to Glasgow, the first time being in the year 2000. I was visiting my cousin and her family on both occassions. My second trip though, was a very short trip. Even so, with the help of my sister and brother-in-law, i did manage to pack in a reasonable bit.
Glasgow is Scotland's largest city. It looks visibly different from most others that you`d see in Britain, lots of very imposing buildings, with an overwhelming touch of Georgian and Victorian architecture.
Despite its rich cultural background, In the early 1970s, Glasgow faced troubled times... unemployment, economic slowdown and law and order issues too.
Over the years, however, the city reinvented itself, and in 1990, it was elected `European City of Culture'. I think the city grows on you as time goes by. I have spent some time looking up info on some of the places i visited while i was there, retrospectively, and the more i read up, the more it seems to have on offer. Another trip sometime hopefully...
- In a nutshell:less touristy compared to Edinburgh perhaps, but it has its own charm...
Stirling- one of Scotlands former capitals, is one of its most historic cities as well, with a lot of tales of battles... more travel advice
In the year 1990, when Glasgow was awarded the title European City of Culture, the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall was built... more travel advice
husain's Related Pages
Glasgow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glasgow Travel Tips - Scotland's Only "Real" City"
- "Keeping up Appearances"
- "City location"
- "Glasgow, Scotland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glasgow
- Hotels in Glasgow
- Transportation in Glasgow
- Nightlife in Glasgow
- Restaurants in Glasgow
- Shopping in Glasgow
- Warnings and Dangers in Glasgow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glasgow
- 18 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Glasgow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glasgow
- Posted in Travel Delhi Forum "Re: Layover in Delhi airport at..."
- Commented on one of CliffClaven's Glasgow travel pages
- Wrote a Review Stirling about Stirling... in Glasgow Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Barbecue by the Loch"
- updated a Glasgow Travel Page ""The Second City of the British Empire""
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 120 reviews, 393 photos, 5 travelogues
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 169 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 80 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kabul Intro, 33 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ladakh Range Intro, 18 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Afghanistan Intro, 10 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uttarkashi Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos