"Sadhus, Boats, and a Holy river" Varanasi by husain
Varanasi Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 99 photos
Benares is one of the holiest cities for hindus. Located on the banks of the holy river Ganga, it attracts a huge number of pilgrims and tourists. I was there shooting a documentary with a dutch television producer, on the Indian epic- the mahabharata... (March 2002)
My second trip to Benares. This time on another documenary shoot for an upcoming BBC series.
Didnt have a lot of time to explore the city, but enough to squeeze in a very peaceful boatride on the Ganges...
- Pros:history, mythology, a way of life, and the ganges
- Cons:the crowd, the traffic, and a polluted river
- In a nutshell:definately worth experiencing, but be prepared for the chaos!
Located about 10 kilometers away from Varanasi, Sarnath, is the place where the Buddha preached his first sermon after... more travel advice
A 5 star hotel, and possibly among the best in Benares. The Taj Ganges is set amidst a huge area (12 acres?) - gardens,... more travel advice
husain's Related Pages
Varanasi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Varanasi- Where the Ganga flows..."
- "Also known as Benares"
- "Sadhus, Boats, and a Holy river"
- "Kashi, Benaras, Banaras, Varanasi ..."
- "Varanasi aka Benares"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varanasi
- Hotels in Varanasi
- Transportation in Varanasi
- Nightlife in Varanasi
- Restaurants in Varanasi
- Shopping in Varanasi
- Warnings and Dangers in Varanasi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varanasi
- 11 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Varanasi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varanasi
Photos in VaranasiSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi Intro, 120 reviews, 393 photos, 5 travelogues
- India Intro, 43 reviews, 169 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 80 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kabul Intro, 33 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ladakh Range Intro, 18 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Afghanistan Intro, 10 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uttarkashi Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos