"In a Word, SPECTACULAR" Top 5 Page for this destination Valley of Fire State Park by soccergrrl

Valley of Fire State Park Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 324 photos

This is, without a doubt, one of the most breathtaking places I have ever visited. With each vista more extraordinary than the last, Valley of Fire State Park is a place where the true wonder of Nature, geology, and human history are raised up before your very eyes. If you've been here, you know exactly what I mean. If you've not been here, view my travelogues for a taste -- but to understand it, you have to go there for yourself.

Visit this site for more information

Valley of Fire is Nevada's first state park. It is located in the Mojave Desert about an hour northeast of Las Vegas. Getting there from the city is easy and this makes a fantastic day (or 1/2 day, even) trip. It's also possible to combine an outing to Valley of Fire with a trip to Hoover Dam as well -- you can easily see both in a day and still be back in time for dinner on the Strip.

Note that the entrance fee for the park is $5 per vehicle, sometimes (as when I was there) collected on an honor system. You pull off at the entrance and fill out an envelope with your vehicle's license info, pop your $5 inside, and drop the envelope into a locked box.

This is a natural area, so I don't have many tips -- there are no restaurants, the nightlife isn't for humans, and while I think they allow camping in the park, I don't know anything about it. Mostly what you'll find on this page is travelogues. I hope you'll enjoy my pictures, but bear in mind they don't come close to capturing the eerie beauty and sense of timelessness of Valley of Fire.

• Pros:Jaw-dropping natural beauty
  • Cons:Summer temperatures well over 100 degrees F
  • In a nutshell:See it to believe it!
  • Last visit to Valley of Fire State Park: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 30, 2003

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Thanks for you Things to Do tips, it has helped me to decide that this would be a worth while stop for us next time we are in the area, probably February, when we would miss all that heat!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 2:30 AM

Hope your birthday is full of friends, love and laughter. Enjoy!

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2005 at 8:38 AM

Wonderful pictures of the petroglyphs. Would have liked to know more about who made them and when:):)

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2005 at 8:20 PM

cool pics, if I make it down there I would definatley check out this place

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2004 at 1:25 PM

When I must take someone to Las Vegas, I drop them off and head for The Valley of Fire. A very unusual place.

• DUNK67's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2004 at 11:51 PM

great tips and stunning photos dorothy you dork, lol :)

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2003 at 8:55 AM

such vibrant colours what a marvelous sight to see

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2003 at 6:32 AM

Beautiful page! Love the photos & tips! Sounds very HOT! Looks Great! :-)

• Jul 2, 2003 at 10:38 AM

Hey, how'd I miss this one?! Great pics and descriptions :-)

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2003 at 1:51 PM

fabulous photo's of truly extraordinary landscape

soccergrrl

“"Why wait? There's a world outside . . ." -- The Psychedelic Furs”

Badges & Stats in Valley of Fire State Park

Have you been to Valley of Fire State Park?

Latest Activity in Valley of Fire State Park