"In a Word, SPECTACULAR" Top 5 Page for this destination Valley of Fire State Park by soccergrrl
Valley of Fire State Park Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 324 photos
This is, without a doubt, one of the most breathtaking places I have ever visited. With each vista more extraordinary than the last, Valley of Fire State Park is a place where the true wonder of Nature, geology, and human history are raised up before your very eyes. If you've been here, you know exactly what I mean. If you've not been here, view my travelogues for a taste -- but to understand it, you have to go there for yourself.
Visit this site for more information
Valley of Fire is Nevada's first state park. It is located in the Mojave Desert about an hour northeast of Las Vegas. Getting there from the city is easy and this makes a fantastic day (or 1/2 day, even) trip. It's also possible to combine an outing to Valley of Fire with a trip to Hoover Dam as well -- you can easily see both in a day and still be back in time for dinner on the Strip.
Note that the entrance fee for the park is $5 per vehicle, sometimes (as when I was there) collected on an honor system. You pull off at the entrance and fill out an envelope with your vehicle's license info, pop your $5 inside, and drop the envelope into a locked box.
This is a natural area, so I don't have many tips -- there are no restaurants, the nightlife isn't for humans, and while I think they allow camping in the park, I don't know anything about it. Mostly what you'll find on this page is travelogues. I hope you'll enjoy my pictures, but bear in mind they don't come close to capturing the eerie beauty and sense of timelessness of Valley of Fire.
- Pros:Jaw-dropping natural beauty
- Cons:Summer temperatures well over 100 degrees F
- In a nutshell:See it to believe it!
Once you've motored up the Interstate and made the turnoff (I found out where to turn from my guidebook) -- the road... more travel advice
You have to park your car and walk a flat, sandy trail to this formation. It is a natural "tank" in the rocks where... more travel advice
soccergrrl's Related Pages
Valley of Fire State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Brief Stop Before Civilization: Valley of Fire"
- "Nevada's Finest State Park"
- "In a Word, SPECTACULAR"
- "Great get-a-way from the Vegas strip."
- "Valley of Fire State Park"
- "Valley of Fire"
- "Sharrie's Valley of Fire Wilderness"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valley of Fire State Park
- Hotels in Valley of Fire State Park
- Transportation in Valley of Fire State Park
- Restaurants in Valley of Fire State Park
- Shopping in Valley of Fire State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Valley of Fire State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valley of Fire State Park
- 9 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Valley of Fire State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valley of Fire State Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: I can see "clearly" now"
- updated a Valley of Fire State Park Travel Page "In a Word, SPECTACULAR"
- Uploaded a Photo to "In a Word, SPECTACULAR"
- Wrote a Review Middle of Nowhere in Valley of Fire State Park Transportation
- Commented on one of shrimp56's Valley of Fire State Park travel pages
Photos in Valley of Fire State ParkSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 36 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 6 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valley of Fire State Park Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 9 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Capon Bridge Intro, 2 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mount Charleston Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues