"Mountain Respite" Mount Charleston by soccergrrl
Mount Charleston Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 71 photos
About an hour's drive from the Strip, you can escape to a spot that is cooler, quieter, and slower . . . Mount Charleston and the surrounding canyons. You'll find yourself in the Spring Mountain National Recreation Area, and much of the area is also part of the Toyibe National Forest. Charleston Peak itself is the highest point in southern Nevada, at 11,918 feet!
The main thing to do here is get out of your car and go for a hike. The air is wonderful and depending on the time of year you will have the trail pretty much to yourself. You can check in at the visitor center (located on Rte. 157 in Kyle Canyon) for recommendations, maps, and souvenirs.
Don't forget to be respectful . . . don't pick wildflowers or disturb other plants and wildlife; stick to the trails; and pack out what you pack in. Some the bristlecone pine trees here are thousands of years old!
- Pros:Cooler, quieter, and a world away from Vegas
- Cons:Sometimes trails are poorly marked, and sometimes they're blocked by snow!
- In a nutshell:A natural day trip for recharging yourself!
We expected to run into some snow -- after all, you're hiking at an elevation of 8,000 feet or so! But we didn't expect... more travel advice
soccergrrl's Related Pages
Mount Charleston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Escape to Mount Charleston"
- "Mountain Respite"
- "Las Vegas Mountain Retreat"
- "SoCal78's Mount Charleston Pic's"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Charleston
- Hotels in Mount Charleston
- Transportation in Mount Charleston
- Nightlife in Mount Charleston
- Restaurants in Mount Charleston
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Charleston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Charleston
- 2 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Mount Charleston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Charleston
Photos in Mount CharlestonSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 36 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Massachusetts Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 6 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valley of Fire State Park Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 9 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Capon Bridge Intro, 2 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mount Charleston Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues