"The Nation's Capital" Washington D.C. by soccergrrl

Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,653 reviews and 15,102 photos

PANDAMANIA HAS ARRIVED!

If you visit Washington, DC this summer, 2004, keep an eye out for some colorful friends waiting to greet you. They are the artfully, and cleverly, decorated and named pandas that dot street corners around the city. See my tip about them for more details.

This one, called "Sightseeing DC-Style," is located at Pennsylvania Ave and 14th St NW.

Spring is Here

Cherry Blossom time is the unofficial start of "Tourist Season" here in Washington. We have visitors all through the year, but the city is at its most beautiful in the spring when these stunning trees strut their stuff. For details on the annual festival, visit:

For predictions about bloom dates (and historical bloom times for the past several years):

Soon enough the unpredictable spring weather will be gone and we will be moaning, "It's HOT!" No doubt another sweltering Washington summer is just around the corner. But guess what? The museums are air-conditioned and there's an ice cream vendor on nearly every corner around the Mall!

I work here--lucky me!

Washington is a unique and beautiful city to visit. Here you'll find some photos from cherry blossom time in 2002 as well as some of my favorite restaurants. Some of the restaurants are in the suburbs, but I'm putting them here because I think more people will see them. You'll also find some information about soccer (football) here in metropolitan area! Finally, there's a travelogue with pictures of the snow we got on December 5, 2002. I hope you'll come see things for yourself. If you have questions about the area, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help.

HELP
You may have heard that Washington is full of busy, Type A personalities--lawyers, politicos, and lobbyists--who won't give you the time of day let alone help you find the White House. Like any city, you're bound to encounter some rude people, but overall you'll find us helpful if you just ask! In addition to locals, in the downtown areas you will see "Downtown Sam" employees in red jackets. They are here to help and usually have maps and a smile to help you find your way.

• Pros:Museums, history
  • Cons:Tropical summers, a few bad neighborhoods
  • In a nutshell:A classical jewel in America
  • Last visit to Washington D.C.: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 2, 2004

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2009 at 1:33 AM

Hi Dot. I've got some friends who are heading out to Washington soon so thanks for the great tips. All the best from the UK.

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I'm planning a trip to D.C. in June and appreciate all your tips.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2003 at 1:46 PM

Excellent page on DC! Great picts!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2003 at 9:51 AM

It's really interesting to explore the city you live in. BTW Dorothy - HB 2 U!

• bct341's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2003 at 11:58 AM

great pics and info about D.C... I love going there.. although it seems it is mostly business trips anymore :) Love the cherry blossom pics!!!

• Apr 16, 2003 at 7:25 AM

Excellnat page/.wealth of information.nice pictures as well nice tips for a visitor . Neat presentation which is highly useful to a traveller..Happy EASTER TO YOU AND FAMILY

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2003 at 3:42 PM

Geee soccergrrl.. you dressed up this page real nice ! :-)

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2003 at 1:39 PM

wow what a snow!! I love your christmas pictures, I think I have to visit Washington during the winter it is just beautiful :-)

• Robinski9's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2003 at 9:46 AM

Great work! Been a while since I've visited DC or your page. I'll have to come back to both soon!

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2003 at 2:56 PM

A very great footbal travelogue.

soccergrrl

“"Why wait? There's a world outside . . ." -- The Psychedelic Furs”

Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.

Have you been to Washington D.C.?