"Hamm Westfalen" Hamm by Xefian

Hamm Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 8 photos

Hamm is not really a tourist town...Its an industrial town located on the fringes of the Ruhrgebeit...and on the fringes of the Munsterland ,and right around the corner from the Sauerland...So why am I writing a VT page about this place ?...Well once upon a time the American Chemical Company DuPont decided to build a nylon factory there...and our family transerred from East Texas to Westfalen...We lived in the area for almost seven years...those being my teen/ young adult years . Therefore this area had a big influence on my families lives...There was also a British Forces Boarding School in Hamm...Windsor Boys / Girls Schools two seperate campuses that served as our "High School". So 1000s of Brits also have profound memories of this area... Memories are good ones...Clean, Safe, Friendly People, Who took us into their communities...Quite a bit different from the Southern USA...Anyway, I've returned when I can...and have seen sweeping changes over the years ...This area was once overwhelmingly Deutscher, now the multi-culturism is amazing. There are large Islamic, Asian,African...etc communities...The city itself has transformed itself into lovely pedestrian streets, the old building facades have been spruced up. Very well done...There have been some sacrifices along the way ...the local breweries are gone...turned into shopping malls or parking lots. 100s of years of tradition gone. I suppose thats progress...Anyway Hamm is today a railway hub, offering connections to anywhere European......A lot was lost in the 2nd world war...but what remains is well cared for. It's a town to visit if you want to see a Germany NOT dressed up for tourists but for itself...

• Last visit to Hamm: Jun 2002