"Bourtange" Bourtange by Xefian
Bourtange Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 101 photos
Located right on the German/Dutch border, 20 Km or so from Winschoten and about an hours drive from Groningen,Bourtange its sort of a Disneyland for Historybuffs ...Theres old wooden bridges and moats , guard towers ,cannons,and Earthen Walls .Nice museums to document the history and restoration of the town, all in all a nice contrast to the Cities. A place to stretch out and walk . They pronounce it sort of like Boor-tang-eh,not the Frenchish Bore-tanj. We spent 3 days here and were very glad we did.
Bourtange is also a living town, with a few hundred residents . There's a central hub around which are shops and restaurants , with streets heading outward to the walls / moats...a peaceful feeling (despite the cannons and guard posts) rules the town . At least until the busloads of School children and tourists start to arrive in mid-morning ...But they're gone by 16:00-17:00 and you'll be glad you chose to stay in the excellent Hotel...
Bourtange has a couple nice restaurants as well as a "fast food joint" ...we had dinner at s'landhuis located right on... more travel advice
If you're looking for a little tranquility after the hectic pace of the Randstad ,Bourtange will do nicely.For a history... more travel advice
Xefian's Related Pages
Bourtange Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "At the start of the Dutch independance march"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bourtange
- Hotels in Bourtange
- Transportation in Bourtange
- Restaurants in Bourtange
- Shopping in Bourtange
- Warnings and Dangers in Bourtange
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bourtange
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Bourtange?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bourtange
Photos in BourtangeSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Valkenburg Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Bourtange Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Hindeloopen Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Hamm Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Appingedam Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Leiden Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Xanten Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Schieder-Schwalenberg Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.