"To travel is to find...What? Yourself?" pwise124's Profile

Points to ponder on a long night flight?

"To fly is the opposite of traveling; you cross a gap in space...you vanish into the void...then you reappear, in a place and in a moment with NO relation to the where and the when from which you vanished."--"If on a winter's night a traveler" by Italo Calvino

Think about that..modern jetliners are our "magic" carpets. We go somehere called an airport and we vanish from there. No amount of looking will find us! Sometime hours or even a day [if we cross an imaginary line] in the past or future, we appear again but in a different place. And when we look around us, we may have gone back in time. A castle looms over the river as it has since the 13th century, a trumpeter still tells the hour from the church tower. On a train you are always somewhere, what was the name of that last village where the train stoped? But not so on jetliners...you vanish and do not reappear until a city comes into view through misty fog...P Wise

Choices

THEN there are those misty, foggy days lately that take me back to...where the roads always forked and I had to take one or the other. I never cease to wonder...what IF? [What if] I had slept a little later and went to a different museum, cafe or pub in that "Most Beautiful Medieval City in the World?" Or taken a different train from K that didn't go through the frozen wilderness to...? Can we NOT make a choice? Not really, I don't think so--even just sitting in the cafe with my chai [herbatta there], watching the city as the fog slowly lifted over the Royal Castle...until that train to the "amber coast," departed without me WAS making a choice, right? Who was waiting at the station I did NOT visit? And then one day in another beautiful city--SHE came slowly through the swirling snow of the Russian Winter towards me..."Are you the one I'm waiting for?" And it seems I WAS...but that's another story!

You have to be open to what fate presents!!

You see, many people don't even notice when fate presents them with choices! I look back to a time in Warsaw I helped a cute Polish girl with her suitcase [which was very similar to mine but that's getting ahead of the story!] We both had an hour's layover--so we talked, flirted shamelessly & drank pivo after we re-checked our bags for our flights! Magda was flying north to the Amber Coast and I was flying south to the "Most Beautiful Medieval City in the World!" When I got to airport baggage claim, something didn't look right because it wasn't! They had put my destination tag on her bag & hers on mine. Give the bag back to the airline & have them send it on, hoping for the best? Not the only choice by far, use your imagination...email me for the rest of that story, so many others & a different take on what really ARE choices.

And Lastly...

To quote a wise pilot from the internet: "As you get older you will realize that one of the major reasons this world is so screwed up is because there are so many people around the world who are offended by everything everyone else does or says. Political Correctness is a cancer that has spread through the whole body of this so called Civilization we have here on earth."
So that said...If anything I say or write offends you...I am NOT sorry! If you choose to take offense, that's your problem, not mine...get over it!! I am VERY offended by people too easily offended!!! My right of free speech is as important as yours and my opinion is JUST as valid as liberals out to get every criminal & child molester off "scot-free" or bring every African to live in USA!!!

• Intro Updated May 8, 2008

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Happy b-day!

• Feb 20, 2006 at 1:16 PM

good dogy.... but weres your homepage>? weres all the nice pictures of were your from? ... stevo :))

• rachel_sun's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2005 at 8:39 PM

Have a wonderful day ;-)

• pabertra's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2004 at 12:50 PM

Happy Birthday/ Feliz Cumpleanos to you and te darling lab! From your Indiana neighbor~Paige and her lab Atlas!

• Nov 13, 2003 at 10:24 PM

Many many happy returns of the day.Wishing you a a happy birthday. Have a nice time and all the best in life..Also the same greetings to the dog too..

• Efrika's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2003 at 8:05 AM

being a dog is not a handicap ! :- ) you can join me and my Motyl when travelling

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
pwise124's Profile Photo

pwise124

“The good thing about internet is nobody knows you're a dog!!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.