"Honduras" Roatán Town by kschatterbox

Roatán Town Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 76 photos

My first and Last trip to Roatan, Honduras

On my very first cruise one of the ports was Roatan, Honduras. For a year I was very excited to come here. I must be truthful and say that I will never go back. I am very mixed on how I feel about Honduras. Very pretty places but the crime and the poorness of the country and the begging freaked me out.

When we pulled up to port I was so excited to see beatiful mountains with so many trees!! (it was so humid if fogged up my camera as soon as I got off the ship). As soon as we passed the first fence in Coxen Hole you saw many many cars and vans that was waiting for the thousands of people. Then you had to get past the second fence (where they had guards with may huge guns).
I have to say that I just got a bad feeling as soon as we stepped out into the city of Coxen Hole. While waiting for our tour guide to take us looking at the whole island of Roatan. While waiting there the sights and sounds was very loud and dirty.
Once you get past Coxen Hole you will see the hidden beauty of Roatan, Honduras.

when you pull up to the pier you can see the coral reef that is right off the dock in Coxen Hole.

Coxen Hole. The largest town in Roatan Honduras

• In a nutshell:Venture out to see the Island
  • Last visit to Roatán Town: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 23, 2007

• TinKan's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 8:53 PM

Enjoyed the tips.... The kids are not that bad every day but they do get out of hand on ship days.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Nice tips!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2007 at 6:00 AM

It sounds like you made the most of your trip. The iguana experience sounds like it would be very interesting. Good to hear you fared well there. Regards from Texas...

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 6:34 AM

Great photos and interesting tips. We just got back from a trip to Roatan and had a great time there, but haven't built our pages yet. Thanks!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Interesting page. Sorry to hear that Roatan wasn't a great experience!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 3:41 AM

Your tips are wonderful, the pictures are breathless. So sorry that your experience didn't live up to your expectations.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 1:11 PM

an interesting page with great pics of the wildlife !

kschatterbox

“Watch out world, here I come !!!”

Badges & Stats in Roatán Town

Have you been to Roatán Town?

Latest Activity in Roatán Town