Kals-am Großglockner Warnings Or Dangers Tips by Ash59
Kals-am Großglockner Warnings and Dangers: 3 reviews and 7 photos
Grossglocknerstrasse (Route 107)
This trip has to be taken by road along the Grossglocknerstrasse (Route 107). If you get travel sickness, then make sure that you take travel sickness pills with you because the trip really is worth it. That is enough about the warning, now lets talk about the road.
This road is the longest and most splendid alpine highway in Europe. Whatever they say about it, it certainly isn't straight! It twists and turns through more hairpin turns and bends than you can count and, if you are driving, will probably give you one of the greatest drives of your life.
The highway runs for nearly 48km (30miles), starting off at Bruck an der Grossglockmerstrasse at 757m (2,483ft) and rises to highest point at 2,507m (8,220ft). This height is reached just after the 2nd tunnel that you pass through. Finished in 1935, the maintenance of the road is borne by a toll. The round trip fee is 26 Euro.
You might think that building a highway through the mountains is impressive, especially with the machinery available in the 1930's.. What is even more impressive was that the engineers building the road found evidence that the Romans had built a road along the same route, some 19 centuries earlier!
More Reviews (5)
Ash59's Related Pages
Kals-am Großglockner Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grossglockner Road - Austria's Alpine Country"
- "Austria's Highest Mountain"
- "Grossglockner, the highest mountain in Austria"
- "Fresh air, mountains, great sceneries"
- "Grossglockner Glacier"
- "Leaving the valley !"
- "A journey to the south, stopover Grossglockner..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kals-am Großglockner
- Transportation in Kals-am Großglockner
- Restaurants in Kals-am Großglockner
- Shopping in Kals-am Großglockner
- Warnings and Dangers in Kals-am Großglockner
- See All...
Explore the World
- Trapani Warnings and Dangers
- Belgium Warnings and Dangers
- Jaisalmer Warnings and Dangers
- Braunau am Inn Warnings and Dangers
- Asturias Warnings and Dangers
- Ladies Day
- It gets crowded too many people
- Scottsdale Warnings and Dangers
- Hot Springs Warnings and Dangers
- Trabzon Warnings and Dangers
- Car Care
Badges & Stats in Kals-am Großglockner
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kals-am Großglockner?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kals-am Großglockner
Photos in Kals-am GroßglocknerSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 59 photos
- Krakow Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 36 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stirling Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Kenya Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Harwich Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bunratty Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.