"The Port and Historic Town of Harwich" Harwich by Ash59

Harwich Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 145 photos

We went to Harwich one sunny Sunday afternoon. To be honest, I didn’t expect much from this port town that lies on the coast, northeast corner of Essex. Perhaps a short walk along the promenade and maybe a stop for refreshments and that would be it. How wrong I was!

Harwich is an extremely historic town and proud of its past, as well. From links to all things maritime to Kings, Queens and famous Diarists, this town has it all. For more information, please read on…………

The name “Harwich” probably originates from the time of King Alfred, when “Here” meant an army and “Wic” meant a camp. The town of Harwich was built in the 13th century by the Earls of Norfolk to exploit its strategic position on the mouth of the Stour/Orwell Estuary. King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth I and King Charles II have visited it. The explorer Drake and Lord Admiral Nelson have both been to this town and it was the headquarters of the Royal Navy in the 16th century.

For further information about the history of Harwich, (after you have checked my info, of course!), check out www.harwich-society.com

• Pros:Historic town
  • Cons:Limited places to rest and recuperate, cold on a windy day
  • In a nutshell:Nice place to spend a couple of hours
  • Last visit to Harwich: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2003

• Fergie01's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I can't wait to visit Harwich again...my grandparents lived here for abit..i spent my whole summer with them...great memories. thanks for reminding me about harwich.

• Sep 6, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Enjoyed the history details in your tips - made Harwich stand up as an extremely interesting place to visit. Cheers, Marina

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 2:45 AM

This is an excellent little page on (as you say) a surpisingly interesting little town. Must get round to putting my own page together. Cheers, John.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2004 at 7:48 AM

I seem to have missed a few things in Harwich - but then again, I was moving country :-)

• Apr 17, 2003 at 12:46 AM

Excellant page..Lots of nice pictures..Wealth of information and really useful tips to a traveller..Wishing you and family a happy Birthday and happy Easter

Ash59

“Tomorrow is a mystery, live for today!”

Badges & Stats in Harwich

Have you been to Harwich?

Latest Activity in Harwich