"The Port and Historic Town of Harwich" Harwich by Ash59
Harwich Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 145 photos
We went to Harwich one sunny Sunday afternoon. To be honest, I didn’t expect much from this port town that lies on the coast, northeast corner of Essex. Perhaps a short walk along the promenade and maybe a stop for refreshments and that would be it. How wrong I was!
Harwich is an extremely historic town and proud of its past, as well. From links to all things maritime to Kings, Queens and famous Diarists, this town has it all. For more information, please read on…………
The name “Harwich” probably originates from the time of King Alfred, when “Here” meant an army and “Wic” meant a camp. The town of Harwich was built in the 13th century by the Earls of Norfolk to exploit its strategic position on the mouth of the Stour/Orwell Estuary. King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth I and King Charles II have visited it. The explorer Drake and Lord Admiral Nelson have both been to this town and it was the headquarters of the Royal Navy in the 16th century.
For further information about the history of Harwich, (after you have checked my info, of course!), check out www.harwich-society.com
- Pros:Historic town
- Cons:Limited places to rest and recuperate, cold on a windy day
- In a nutshell:Nice place to spend a couple of hours
Just down the road and around the corner from the Redoubt is Dovercourt Bay. This is where you will find the Iron... more travel advice
The rooms around the parade ground now house memories of the Great Wars and also have interesting displays showing how... more travel advice
Ash59's Related Pages
Harwich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Port and Historic Town of Harwich"
- "Loads of History and Loads of Pubs!"
- "Harwich - The Most Easterly Point in Essex"
- "Harwich - like a trip to eastern Europe?"
- "Harbour gateway"
- "Cruise Ship Port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Harwich
- Hotels in Harwich
- Transportation in Harwich
- Restaurants in Harwich
- Shopping in Harwich
- Warnings and Dangers in Harwich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harwich
- 20 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Harwich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harwich
Photos in HarwichSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 59 photos
- Krakow Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 36 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stirling Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Kenya Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Harwich Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bunratty Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.