"There's gold in them there hills...." Top 5 Page for this destination Pilgrim's Rest by Ash59
Pilgrim's Rest Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 104 photos
It all started with a man and a wheelbarrow....
A prospector called Alec Patterson carried all his belongings in wheelbarrow, hence his nickname of "Wheelbarrow" Alec. In 1873, he discovered the first Alluvial gold in the stream that runs through the valley. This then lead to the gold rush that resulted in the small town of Pilgrims Rest being built. Comprising of approx 1800 people, after the mining stopped in 1972, the main source of income now is tourism, so there are hotels, restaurants, a few shops and lots of stalls selling local produce.
In 1986, the entire town was declared a National Monument as a living memory of the gold rush days of the late 1800s, early 1900s, so everything is kept spick and span.
- Pros:Lovely views, nice rest stop
Not quite off the beaten track but you have to follow a sometimes narrow and sometimes steep path to get to the cemetary... more travel advice
Ash59's Related Pages
Pilgrim's Rest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pilgrim's Rest - [Mpumalanga]"
- "Historical Mining town"
- "There's gold in them there hills...."
- "Little mining town"
- "Pilgrim's Rest"
- "Searching for the spirit of the Greatheart"
- "Taking a step back into yesteryear..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pilgrim's Rest
- Hotels in Pilgrim's Rest
- Restaurants in Pilgrim's Rest
- Shopping in Pilgrim's Rest
- Warnings and Dangers in Pilgrim's Rest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pilgrim's Rest
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Pilgrim's Rest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pilgrim's Rest
Photos in Pilgrim's RestSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 56 reviews, 59 photos
- Krakow Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 36 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stirling Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Kenya Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Harwich Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bunratty Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.