"Andy's Home Page" Ash59's Profile

Porthleven is so Exhilerating with its weather!

My thanks in advance to any member of the VT club that rates my travels.

Best wishes and happy travelling to you all.

Andy

The above picture was taken from a pier jutting out into the Atlantic at Pothleven at high tide.

If you would like to view my pages on Porthleven, then please click here.

A Smile For You....

Smiling is infectious;
you catch it like the flu.
When someone smiled at me today, I started smiling too.
I passed around the corner and someone saw my grin...
When he smiled, I realised I'd passed it on to him.
I thought about that smile, then realised its worth,
a single smile, just like mine, could travel around the earth.
So, if you feel a smile begin, don't leave it undetected
lets start an epidemic quick, and get the world infected!

Anonymous

~~~~~~~~~

A prayer to God.com

Every single evening
As I am laying here in bed
This tiny little prayer
Keeps running through my head.

God bless my family
Wherever they may be,
Keep them warm and safe from harm
For they’re so close to me.

And God, there is one more thing
I wish that you could do.
Hope you don’t mind me asking
Bless my computer too.

Now I know it’s not normal
To bless a motherboard,
But listen just a second
As I explain to you “My Lord”.

You see, that little metal box
Holds more than odds & ends
Inside those small compartments
Rest so may of my FRIENDS.

I know so much about them
By the kindness that they give
And this little scrap of metal
Takes me to where they live.

By faith is how I know them
Much the same as you.
We share in what life brings us
And from that our friendship grew.

Please, take an extra minute
From your duties up above
To bless those in my address book
That’s filled with so much love!

Where ever else this prayer may reach
To each and every friend,
Bless each email inbox
And the person who hits send.

When you update your heavenly list
On your own CD-Rom
Remember each who’ve said this prayer
Sent up to God.Com

Found on the noticeboard of a church in Malta.

####################

It's hard to believe things have changed so much!

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us that were kids in the 50's, 60's 70's probably shouldn't have survived our childhood.

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode out bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and flourescent "clackers" on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags. Riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle - it tasted the same. We ate jam sandwiches, bread & butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but were never overweight because we we always outside playing.

We shared one drink with 4 friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually dies from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out that we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

We played elastics and street cricket, and sometimes that ball really hurt. We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learned not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue - we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with lolly sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we did not have many eyes out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

We did not have Play Stations or X-boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, personal computers, no internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went outside and found them.

This generation has produced some of the best risk takers, problem solvers and inventors. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility and we learned how to deal with it all.

<0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0>

The statements above is copy of an email going around at the moment. It brings everything home to me about how good life was when I was younger, before lawyers and goverment regulated our lives, for our own good?

#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#

I visited Finchingfield village in September, 2003. In the church, I found a transcription of a Nuns' prayer from the 18th century. It rung a chord in my heart so I thought I would show it to the world:-

Lord, Thou knowest better than I know myself that I am growing older and will someday be old. Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion. Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. Make me thoughful but not moody; helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity to not use it all but thou knowest Lord, that I want a few friends at the end.

Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details; give me wings to get to the point. Seal my lips on my aches and pains. They are increasing, and love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by. I dare not ask for grace enough to enjoy the tales of others' pains but help me to endure them with patience.

I dare not ask for improved memory, but for a growing humility and a lessing cocksureness when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others. Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken.

Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not want to be a Saint - some of them are so hard to live with - but a sour old person is one of the crowing works of the Devil. Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places, and talants in unexpected people. And give me, O Lord, the grace to tell them so. Amen.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Family

I ran into a stranger as he passed by, “Oh excuse me please” was my reply.
He said, “Please excuse me too; I wasn’t watching for you.”
We were very polite, this stranger and I.
We went on our way and we said good-bye.
But at home a different story is told, how we treat our loved ones, young and old.

Later that day, cooking the evening meal,
My son stood beside me very still.
When I turned, I nearly knocked him down.
“Move out of the way,” I said with a frown.
He walked away, his little heart broken.
I didn’t realize how harshly I’d spoken.
While I lay awake in bed,
God’s still small voice came to me and said,
“While dealing with a stranger, common courtesy you use, but the family you love, you seem to abuse.
Go and look on the kitchen floor, you’ll find some flowers there by the door.
Those are the flowers he brought for you.
He picked them himself: pink, yellow and blue.
He stood very quietly not to spoil the surprise, you never saw the tears that filled his little eyes.”
By this time, I felt very small, and now my tears began to fall.
I quietly went and knelt by his bed;
“Wake up, little one, wake up,” I said.
“Are these the flowers you picked for me?”
He smiled, “I found ‘em, out by the tree.
I picked ‘em because they’re pretty like you.
I knew you’d like ‘em, especially the blue.”
I said, “Son, I’m very sorry for the way I acted today;
I shouldn’t have yelled at you that way.”
He said, “Oh, Mom, that’s okay.
I love you anyway.”
I said, “Son, I love you too, and I do like the flowers, especially the blue.”

FAMILY
Are you aware that if we died tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days? But the family we left behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives. And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into work than into our own family, an unwise investment indeed, don’t you think?
So what is behind the story?
Do you know what the word FAMILY means?
FAMILY = (F)ATHER (A)ND (M)OTHER (I) (L)OVE (Y)OU

• Intro Updated Nov 9, 2007

Personal Pages (1)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Ash59's Profile Photo

Ash59

“Tomorrow is a mystery, live for today!”

Real Name