"Jim_Eliason's Shanghai Page" Shanghai by Jim_Eliason

Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,079 reviews and 8,150 photos

I would best describe Shanghai as a capitalism on steriods. Everywhere, someone is trying to hawk something. Sometimes it is overpowering but most of the time the energy is compelling.

• Pros:A little bit of everything, trad chinese, european and modern elements
  • Cons:Every buddy's got something to sell
  • In a nutshell:Alive 24/7
  • Last visit to Shanghai: Mar 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2009

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Hi Jim, I'm envious of your fabulous visit. I regret not visiting Shanghai. I might have tried that snake on a stick:-)..

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 9:37 AM

Cool page of Shanghai. The "Xiao Long Bao" dumpling and hairy crabs are great Shanghai specialty and also the popular "BaBaoCha" - 8 treasure ingredients tea. Cheers, SL :)

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Good comprehensive page on Shanghai.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2006 at 7:06 AM

What a vivid, descriptive portrait you have sketched with words. Interesting and informative. Loved your use of extra photographs.

• Helenbb's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2006 at 7:23 PM

Thanks for your shanghai page .I like you pros for shanghai .

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 5:26 PM

Shanghai changed alot, enormous building and this new city is sophisticated, innovative and different life style!!! I would love to see that!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 3:59 AM

I've heard ballroom dancing is a big thing here--guess you've witnessed that! Lots to see in this big city...it must have been a wonderful trip.

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2005 at 6:14 PM

Well said, Jim. Yup, Capitalism on steriods is rife in Shanghai. Hmm, it looks like you tried the small dragon bun (xiao long bao) over there.

• honestjohn's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 5:07 PM

thanks for your kindly comment on my shanghai page, Your comment is a real encouragement to me. Thanks

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 3:55 AM

What a great way to use parks for morning exercises and dancing. Gives a new meaning to those public spaces. .

Jim_Eliason

“I don't want to just live to the length of my life, I want to live to the width of it also”

Badges & Stats in Shanghai

Have you been to Shanghai?

Latest Activity in Shanghai