"Crater's of the Moon National Monument" Craters of the Moon National Monument by Jim_Eliason

Crater's of the Moon National Monument is a forgotten gem in the national park system. Formed by a volcanic active area that was last active about 1,000 years ago, it forms a surreal environment so much like what was expected on the moon that it was used by Nasa for training during the Moon missions.

It is also a long way from anywhere. Its about an 1 1/2 from the closest major city Idaho Falls. However its well worth taking the time to visit.

• Pros:Surreal and unlike any other place I have been
  • Cons:Way off the beaten path and not much else there
  • Last visit to Craters of the Moon National Monument: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 12, 2005

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Nice page. This park is fairly close to me, yet I have never been there. It is on my list of spots to visit.

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Nice page. I've been to this place last year on my way to Yellowstone and truly enjoyed it.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2006 at 6:04 PM

I never knew about this place until I started researching a possible trip out west. Looks very interesting and definitely worth a visit!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 4:37 AM

An eerie place. I am surprised to see plants growing there. But again plants sprout up quickly following the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980.

• FRONA's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2005 at 1:41 PM

very cool!!! reason to go back to the states!!!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2005 at 8:24 PM

Excellent pictures from that little known Park that I had the pleasure to visit once but you show much more that what I saw (we had little time !)

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2005 at 4:14 PM

Thanks a lot Jim for sharing. YOur stuff is fantastic by far. Congratulations.

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2005 at 10:28 AM

Wow, I'm the first on that page! Wonderful pics of a off the beaten path jewel!

Jim_Eliason

“I don't want to just live to the length of my life, I want to live to the width of it also”

Badges & Stats in Craters of the Moon National Monument

Have you been to Craters of the Moon National Monument?