"Bali:The untamed land" Bali by Irine_29

Bali Travel Guide: 6,673 reviews and 16,977 photos

I was preparing myself for that trip long time before. I wanted everything to be perfect.Very well organised. Had bought books,guides, maps. Had heard so many things about Bali and had prepared myself to live one of my best travelling experiences.
It finally turned out to be one of the most intresting and unexpected ones.
The whole concept was to experience it alone just with the help of my jeep and my guiding books.Well....it somehow didnt work out.I had no idea that there were no signs on the island so as to know where I was at the time.And when with my best intentions and my widest smile tried to ask for some help, I came across reversed palms asking for tips and unaproachable eyes.Smiless.I expected that this could happen to some more low-level financial systems.But Bali seemed to be ok with that.Parts of its lands were "devoted" to its Tourists, with the big resorts and the shopping,eating and entertaitment facilities.The rest,which is of course the most intresting one,and the one i was focusing to explore,turned out to be a very "nasty" one.
I cant forget the times when i found myself really fed up from trying to locate where i was, or trying to avoid those palms,or even trying to find a nice place to swim. I was there for almost one week and didnt make it to find a worth swiming beach.Most of them were too wavy,dirty or forbitten to swim. But what mostly anoyed me was the "wall".I always had the feeling of this wall when tried to aproach the locals. Always willing to sell u something, but "please, dont go any futher".Not even a warm glance or a real smile.Nothing.

I will never forget though, the early mornings at the rice fields.The reflection of that morning light on the perfect structured fields.The sound of the ducks and the birds.The big hats over the local's heads who were like "dancing" when harvesting the rice.The waterfalls.The temples.My desperation when where lost into the jungle and prayed to God to "enlight" me for finding my way to the hotel.Now I laugh:-)

There are some photos and tips to come.

• Last visit to Bali: Mar 2000
  • Intro Written Sep 11, 2002

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Enjoyed the read. It's nice to hear all about the 'real' Bali and not just the touristy bits :o) A great story and fun memories. Cheers, Ann.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 12:25 AM

In your general tip it sais: I was socked. shocking, haha. PJ

• tak_pap's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2005 at 8:02 AM

haven't been around for a while. I missed you guys. I should to that place. Never been before. What is the best time to go there, summer or winter ?

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2004 at 5:01 AM

One more of your great island pages!

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2004 at 4:45 AM

I like you Bali page. Thks for sharing.

• jaycee1401's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2004 at 6:22 AM

Thanks for your comments, I nearly added Bali to my trip,but chose not to after reports similar to yours, I like the comment about the locals dancing when working. Also how you seen naked men laughing at u then you laughed, v funny! Byez

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2003 at 6:27 PM

What a shame it wasn't as you expected but you seem to have found nice memories all the same of the natural beauty. Quite an unexpected 'flash' at those temple...lol

• hongmingd's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2003 at 4:39 PM

Bali is very close to my hometown, and I love it very much, especially after the bomb when tourism is low, you can experience the real Bali. Well, it's not good for the locals becoz they have less income, but hopefully everything will be normal again

• jani79's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2003 at 6:48 AM

wonderfull page and nice photos. i have to say that i managed to find some nice, smiling and very helpfull locals there!! but it's true, most of them (specialy in Kuta) are just triing to sell you smt. anyway ....great page :))

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2003 at 7:34 AM

Great page! love the photos and stories to go with them! Wonderful job! :-)

Badges & Stats in Bali