"The capital of moslem sleepers - by Jorg" Bayreuth by AleksanderA
Bayreuth Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 158 photos
The city in Bavaria's Upper Franconia region not only holds surprises for the Wagner devotees but for other visitors as well. Bayreuth is by no means dominated by the heavy sounds of Wagnerian operas. Quite the contrary: in the city's rococo parks, fountains, artificial grottos and tree-lined arcades contrast perfectly with the simple grace of Bayreuth's historic houses and public buildings.
Much of the credit for this lively ambiance has to go to the Countess Wilhelmine. She brought the rococo style to the region of UpperFranconia. Starting in 1732, she commissioned garden designers and landscape architects to transform Franconian farmland around the New Palace into grand parks and gardens. Bayreuth was artistically noteworthy long before Wagner. The city drew poets like German Jean Paul, who lived in Bayreuth until his death more than 175 years ago. The people of Bayreuth honored him with a dignified funeral-due in no small part to the sharp-tongued bard's delicate words for his adopted city.
Richard Wagner and Bayreuth go together like Tristan and Isolde. The rest of the world only really began to take notice of Bayreuth in the 19th century. That was when Wagner, the Teutonic Opera master, turned the Opera House on the city's "Grüner Hügel" or Green Hill, into the main arena for Siegfried, Parsifal and the rest of his heroes. Every year during the summer months, the fortissimo of the Richard Wagner Festival drowns out all other sounds in Bayreuth. And that's somewhat unfortunate, since Bayreuth has more to offer than just the music of Wagner.
AleksanderA's Related Pages
Bayreuth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Quaint German Town"
- "The capital of moslem sleepers - by Jorg"
- "Bayreuth: a secret well kept"
- "Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bayreuth
- Hotels in Bayreuth
- Transportation in Bayreuth
- Nightlife in Bayreuth
- Restaurants in Bayreuth
- Warnings and Dangers in Bayreuth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bayreuth
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Bayreuth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bayreuth
Photos in BayreuthSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Slovenia Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Maribor Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Estonia Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Mexico Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Belize City Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Bosanska Gradiska Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Guatemala Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Bayreuth Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Gdansk 8 photos, 3 travelogues