"MacKiwi's Macao Page" Macao by MacKiwi
Macao Travel Guide: 1,779 reviews and 5,430 photos
<b>Macau is a city where the East and the West have met and continue to coexist in harmony. The results of this combination of cultures can be seen today in baroque-style churches and exotic temples, pastel-colored palaces and classic Chinese gardens. The photo above is
of the ruins of St Paul's.
The uniqueness of this place is that while in the midst of development, it retains an old world charm. One can take a pedicab along the tree-shaded Praia Grande, or enjoy the traditional Chinese medicinal halls along cobbled streets with their long Portuguese names.
There are various celebrations throughout the year, be it a Chinese festival, a Christian Saint's day or a historic anniversary along with a wide range of other activities.
The combination of Portuguese, Chinese, Indian and Malay influences makes the Macanese cuisine yet another unique feature found nowhere else.
Despite all it's Chinese/Portugese culture, perhaps the most well know aspect of Macau is it's multitude of casinos (see nite life below).
The portugese colony of Macau was handed back to China on 20 Dec 1999, almost two and a half years after Hong Kong was handed back to China by the UK.</b>
MacKiwi's Related Pages
Macao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IMPREXXION: MACAU"
- "Bem-Vindo a Macau - Welcome to Macau"
- "Macau - former Portuguese Colony"
- "aramat's new Macao Page"
- "Portuguese Heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Macao
- Hotels in Macao
- Transportation in Macao
- Nightlife in Macao
- Restaurants in Macao
- Shopping in Macao
- Warnings and Dangers in Macao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Macao
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Macao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macao
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 58 reviews, 122 photos, 11 travelogues
- China Intro, 2 reviews, 32 photos, 7 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 1 review, 21 photos, 18 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos, 3 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cayman Islands Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Zealand Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 2 travelogues